Hong Kong's famed Jumbo Floating Restaurant is no more, with the giant tourist attraction being towed from Aberdeen Harbour, making it the latest victim of the COVID pandemic.
Hong Kong's Jumbo Floating Restaurant — a famed but ageing tourist attraction that hosted Queen Elizabeth II and featured in many Hollywood films — has been towed out of the city's harbour after the COVID-19 pandemic finally sank the struggling business.During its 44 years of operation, more than 30 million guests visited Hong Kong's famed Jumbo Floating Restaurant
In 2020, it ceased operations due to the pandemic, and millions of dollars were spent on inspections and maintenanceThe massive floating structure — which was designed like a Chinese imperial palace and at 76 metres long could house 2,300 diners — was towed from Aberdeen Harbour on Tuesday.But Jumbo Floating Restaurant was forced to close in 2020 due to the pandemic, and all staff were laid off.
Parent company Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises said it had become a financial burden to shareholders, as millions of Hong Kong dollars were spent on inspection and maintenance of the structure every year, even though the restaurant was not in operation."We do not foresee that [the Jumbo Floating Restaurant] can resume business in the immediate future," the company said.Tugboats towed the restaurant away but it wasn't clear where it would berth next.
Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam had previously rejected suggestions the city bail out the restaurant, despite calls from politicians to preserve the landmark. Lam said last month that the government had no plans to invest taxpayers' money into the restaurant as it was "not good" at running such premises.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Twinkle left his homeland to tell Hong Kong's story. Now it's on the big screen in AustraliaWhile public screenings of films about the Hong Kong protest movement are now effectively banned there, the Hong Kong Film Festival in Melbourne is hosting a series of them for Australian audiences.
Read more »
COVID-19 restrictions return for Shanghai as Beijing outbreak forces schools onlineChina sticks to its 'zero-COVID' policy requiring mass testing, quarantines and the sequestering of anyone who has come into contact with an infected person in concentrated locations.
Read more »
Storm star Papenhuyzen out of Broncos clash after positive COVID-19 testMelbourne Storm star Ryan Papenhuyzen will not make his return from injury this round as he has tested positive for COVID-19.
Read more »
Most emergency patients in NSW seen within 30 minutes during Omicron outbreak, report suggestsNSW Health secretary says emergency departments remain under significant pressure due to high Covid-19 and flu cases
Read more »
Mask rule for airports to be dumped, Novavax COVID-19 jab approved as boosterMasks will soon no longer need to be worn at Australian airport terminals, while the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine has been approved as a third jab for people aged 18 and over.
Read more »