At-risk students turned away from school during coronavirus lockdown, watchdog says

Australia News News

At-risk students turned away from school during coronavirus lockdown, watchdog says
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 abcnews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 41 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 20%
  • Publisher: 83%

Victoria's child safety watchdog says schools turned away children living in high-risk homes during the height of the state's coronavirus lockdowns, while other students suffered potentially catastrophic disruptions to their education.

Victorian schools turned away children living in high-risk homes during the height of coronavirus lockdowns, while other students suffered potentially catastrophic disruptions to their education because of a failure to provide them with adequate technology, according to the state's child-safety watchdog.

"It was the right policy to let vulnerable children attend on site … but it wasn't properly put into practice," Ms Buchanan said. "My worry is that we're going to see more of that in coming weeks and months, because some of these things take a while for children to disclose," she said. "In the event this occurs, every student will get the support they need, especially children and young people facing disadvantage."The commission has also been told children in residential care, including Indigenous children, received fines of more than $1,600 for breaching social distancing laws during the previous lockdown.

A DHHS spokeswoman said in a statement that carers were expected to explain hygiene requirements, physical distancing and coronavirus restrictions.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

abcnews /  🏆 5. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Canberra records fifth coronavirus case in three days, but authorities say outbreak risk is 'very low'Canberra records fifth coronavirus case in three days, but authorities say outbreak risk is 'very low'The latest person to be infected by COVID-19 is a woman in her 20s who is a close contact of the earlier cases and, like them, lives in Gungahlin.
Read more »

Strange heart issue spikes during pandemicStrange heart issue spikes during pandemicIt turns out coronavirus is bad for our health even if we don’t contract the virus, with cases of one rare condition spiking during the pandemic.
Read more »

Melbourne KFC run in lockdown results in $26,000 in finesMelbourne KFC run in lockdown results in $26,000 in finesA late-night KFC run in Melbourne’s south has cost a group of “selfish” revellers a whopping $26,000 after they were sprung breaching coronavirus lockdown.
Read more »

Victorian businesses get $534m boostVictorian businesses get $534m boostThe half-a-billion-dollar package includes a cash grant for struggling businesses, mental health support for business owners and relief for tourism operators who can no longer rely on Melbourne-based visitors. auspol
Read more »

Record calls to mental health services during second lockdownRecord calls to mental health services during second lockdownLifeline is reporting a 22 per cent surge in calls in Victoria since Sunday compared with the same time last year, while calls from Victoria to Beyond Blue’s support services have doubled in the past fortnight.
Read more »

Coronavirus cases expected to 'keep going up' before they turn in VictoriaCoronavirus cases expected to 'keep going up' before they turn in VictoriaHealth officials and epidemiologists hope Melbourne's coronavirus lockdown could start to have an impact on case numbers within days, but warn the measures will only be successful if people follow restrictions.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 05:25:59