Garland also said he personally approved the decision to execute a search warrant against the former president and was now seeking to make it public.
: US Attorney-General Merrick Garland has broken his silence following the raid on Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, asking a court to unseal the search warrant due to the “substantial public interest in this matter”.
He also pushed back against claims that the raid was a politically motivated “witch-hunt” designed to stop the former president from running for the White House again in 2024. Many took to social media encouraging “civil war”, urging people to “lock and load” and asking “when does the shooting start?”One post called for the assassination of Garland, another suggested to “kill all feds” while others encouraged users to post the address of the judge who signed off on the warrant, with one declaring: “I see a rope around his neck.”
It is still not clear whether the documents in question had anything to do with the January 6 Capitol attack or were simply classified material that Trump, under the provisions of the Presidential Records Act, was not entitled to take after leaving the White House. It came a day after FBI director Christopher Wray also spoke out, describing growing threats of violence against law enforcement agencies as “dangerous and deplorable.”Credit:While Wray did not provide specific details of why the search took place or what was seized, he told reporters: “We have had in this country over the last few years an alarming rise of violence against law enforcement.
Earlier this year, the National Archives - which is responsible for the preservation of government and historical records - retrieved 15 boxes from Mar-a-Lago. However, justice department officials weren’t convinced that there wasn’t more sensitive material at the property.reports, both based on unnamed sources, an informant told the FBI that Trump was lying about this, and knew exactly where the material could be found.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Attorney-General breaks silence on Trump raid, wants search warrant made publicGarland also said he personally approved the decision to execute a search warrant against the former president and was now seeking to make it public.
Read more »
US Attorney-General personally approved search of Trump's Florida home for suspected illegal recordsUS Attorney-General Merrick Garland says federal agents searched Donald Trump's Florida estate as part of an investigation into whether he illegally removed records from the White House as he was leaving office.
Read more »
US Justice Department seeking to unseal search warrant of Trump homeThe US Justice Department has asked a court to unseal the search warrant the FBI received before searching the Florida estate of former president Donald Trump.
Read more »
Donald Trump pleads the fifth in face of questioning by NY attorney-generalThe deposition would pit the two adversaries against each other after a more than three-year civil investigation into the Trump Organisation&x27;s finances.
Read more »
Donald Trump pleads the fifth in face of questioning by NY attorney-generalFormer US president Donald Trump has invoked his Fifth Amendment rights and declined to answer questions from the New York attorney-general at a scheduled deposition. 9News
Read more »
DoJ moves for Trump Mar-a-Lago search warrant to be unsealed – liveMerrick Garland says DoJ filed motion to make warrant public – follow all the day’s politics news
Read more »