Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles has held talks with China’s defence chief at a defence summit in Singapore in what is the first face-to-face meeting between ministers from the two countries in almost three years | ChrisBarrett_
Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles has held talks with China’s defence chief at a defence summit in Singapore in what is the first face-to-face meeting between ministers from the two countries in almost three years.
Marles said he had engaged in a “full and frank discussion” with Wei during Sunday’s meeting, which he described as “a critical first step” in improving relations. China’s Defence Minister Wei Fenghe ; Australia’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Richard Marles shakes hands with Singapore’s Defence Minister Ng Eng during a ministerial luncheon in Singapore.Marles said he raised several issues of concern with Wei including the “dangerous” interception of an Australian surveillance plan near the Paracel Islands last month and Australia’s desire “to ensure that the countries of the Pacific are not put in a position of increased militarisation”.
Marles also met with Japan Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, Singapore leader Lee Hsien Loong and United States Defence chief Lloyd Austin at the summit, as well as with a range of other counterparts from around the world including Solomon Islands Police and National Security Minister Anthony Veke and Fiji Defence Minister Inia Seruiratu.
The challenges of restoring the relationship were also laid bare in a forthright speech here on Sunday by Wei and as Marles called out China’s intimidatory behaviour and military build-up in the South China Sea. Asked on Sunday about Beijing’s message for Australia, Wei did not detail what was meant by serious consequences but replied: “The question is right now there are countries, non-regional countries, meddling with issues in the South China Sea, stirring up trouble. The South China Sea issue should be resolved by countries in the region.”