The UK Huawei decision has justified the “strong leadership” of the Australian government which banned the Chinese company from Australian 5G networks years ago, according to Nationals Senator mattjcan.
The UK Huawei decision has justified the “strong leadership” of the Australian government which banned the Chinese company from Australian 5G networks years ago, according to Nationals Senator Matt Canavan. “Australia was the first to take action on Huawei even ahead of the United States,” he told Sky News host Chris Smith.
Mr Canavan said “we can all see the risks have increased since then and it was the right call to make”. “I never want to see an Australian government trade off our national security, our independence or sovereignty just so we can sell some more products”. “Of course, we’d love to do more trade with like-minded countries, but if those partners are seeking to have our sovereignty on the trade table if you like, as part of the business transaction, then that is a showstopper”.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Victoria's COVID-19 second wave a 'Dan-made disaster': Canavan | Sky News AustraliaThe second wave of coronavirus cases to stem from Victoria occurred under the watch of Premier Andrews which therefore makes it a 'Dan-made disaster' according to Nationals Senator Matt Canavan\n\n'It's become very clear in the last few days that this latest wave, this second wave that is hitting us, here in Australia is really a homegrown one,' Mr Canavan told Sky News host Peter Gleeson. \n\n'This second wave was made in Melbourne under the watch of Dan Andrews'. \n\n'Therefore it's a man-made disaster'. \n\n'Therefore it's a 'Dan-made' disaster and unfortunately threatening now the great record we had up until this date on the coronavirus'. \n\nVictoria has recorded 238 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours as the state's active caseload has risen to 1,931 with 105 patients in the intensive care unit.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
‘Half of Tasmania already belongs to China’: Richo | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Graham Richardson says Australia must deal with China appropriately which means never forgetting “you’re dealing with a communist dictatorship” and not a utopia.\n\nMr Richardson commented on the gradual purchasing of Australian assets and land by foreign owned – and in many cases Chinese state-owned – corporations.\n\n“Half of Tasmania belongs to them now,” he told Sky News host Alan Jones.\n\n“Whatever the Foreign Investment Review Board procedures are, they’re too bloody weak.\n\n“We’ve just relied on China and not bothered to look at anywhere else. This is a very ugly regime, a brutal communist regime.' \n\n'We’ve got to deal with China appropriately and that means never forgetting that you’re dealing with a communist dictatorship not some utopia.”\n\nImage: AP\n
Read more »
Alan Jones discusses classic moments with an Australian former tennis champion | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Alan Jones speaks Supercars with Fox Sports Commentator Neil Crompton and historic moments on the tennis court with former Australian tennis champion Jan O'Neill OAM(Née Lehane). \n\nMs O'Neill recounted some of her matches with Margaret Court, discussing some of their historic Australian Open encounters. \n\nShe also spoke of her endeavours on the court playing overseas throughout her career. \n\nWhile Mr Crompton discussed the Virgin Australia Supercars action coming up on Saturday at Sydney Motorsport Park \n\n'We finally got back to business recently and we're back to business this weekend,' he said. \n\nImage: AP
Read more »
The bad news is Australia's unemployment figure 'is a fake number' | Sky News AustraliaPutting aside the 'fake number' reflecting Australia's unemployment figure, the nation is probably experiencing a rate closer to 20 per cent according to News Corp Business columnist Terry McCrann.\n\n'The bad news - and the truth as opposed to that fake number - is obviously the impact on work, and the impact on families obviously, across the economy across Australia, is much worse than that 7.4 per cent,' he told Sky News host Andrew Bolt. \n\nOn Thursday it was announced Australia's unemployment rate has risen to 7.4 per cent in June, which is the highest since November 1998.\n\nThe Australian Bureau of Statistics said 992,000 Australians are now formally unemployed, with the underemployment figures expected to be much higher. \n\n'If you actually dig into the numbers, we've probably got something like 20 per cent, not 7 per cent, 20 per cent of the workforce, one in five workers either really unemployed or, not just statistically unemployed, or only have their job courtesy of JobKeeper,' he said. \n\n 'As soon as JobKeeper goes away, they would lose that job unless the underlying economy has picked up'. \n\n'That is devastating, we've never seen anything like that before'. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia \n\n
Read more »
The Left, not President Trump, has ‘silenced dissenting voices’ | Sky News AustraliaIt isn’t President Donald Trump who is responsible for “silencing dissenting voices,” but the escalating cancel culture and group-think movement, according to Editor-in-Chief of Storyful Darren Davidson.\n\nFollowing President Trump’s election in 2016, many on the left believed free speech and the exchange of ideas would be curtailed, Mr Davidson told Sky News host Sharri Markson.\n\n“It’s not Trump who’s actually silenced dissenting voices and the free exchange of ideas,” he said.\n\n“It’s this cultural, this ideological indifference to anyone who dares speak out. \n\nThis is one of the major issues of our time.”\n\nImage: AP\n
Read more »