Call to ban vaping for young Australians after review concludes it causes ‘acute lung injury’

Australia News News

Call to ban vaping for young Australians after review concludes it causes ‘acute lung injury’
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 GuardianAus
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 98%

Australian Council on Smoking and Health calls for ban on sale and promotion of e-cigarettes following most comprehensive study yet

The sale and promotion of e-cigarettes to young people must be banned by governments, the Australian Council onThe review, led by researchers from the Australian National University Centre for Epidemiology and Population, found there was conclusive evidence that e-cigarettes caused poisoning, injuries, burns and immediate toxicity through inhalation, including seizures. Their use also led to addiction.

The review found there was strong evidence that e-cigarettes increased tobacco smoking uptake in non-smokers, particularly young people, while there was limited evidence that nicotineThe 430-page review was led by the epidemiologist and public health physician Prof Emily Banks. The researchers were especially interested in whether nicotine and non-nicotine vaping products led to dependence, cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease, oral diseases, reproductive outcomes, injuries and poisonings, mental health conditions, and environmental hazards with human health implications.

Despite this, there were “myths” around e-cigarettes depicted in advertising and promotion of the products targeting young people, she said, including “the false ideas that vapes wouldn’t be widely available if they were dangerous and ‘it’s just water vapour’”.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

GuardianAus /  🏆 1. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Federal government rejects Queensland premier's call to jointly fund flood relief packageFederal government rejects Queensland premier's call to jointly fund flood relief packagePremier Annastacia Palaszczuk wrote to the Prime Minister last month, requesting the Commonwealth pay for half of the proposed funding package, which would give flood-affected Queenslanders the option to retrofit, raise or voluntarily sell back homes at a high risk from future floods.
Read more »

‘January 6 was a real wake-up call’: US unions fight to save democracy‘January 6 was a real wake-up call’: US unions fight to save democracyLabor leaders view this year’s elections – and 2024’s – with special urgency, as a goal-line stand to preserve America’s democracy
Read more »

'Incredible scenes' as 'amazing' Tiger call loomsTigermania has returned to Augusta National!
Read more »

Australia backs Russian war crimes investigation call by BidenForeign Minister Marise Payne said evidence of alleged war crimes was "horrific beyond description".
Read more »

PM yet to call the federal electionPM yet to call the federal electionA Perth father has issued a warning to those in the market for a used car after he was swindled out of thousands of dollars.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 19:37:58