Environmental experts are urging the Government to ramp up its fight against gamba grass following a week of destructive fires through Darwin's rural area.
Environmental experts are urging the Government to ramp up its fight against gamba grass, following a week of destructive fires through Darwin's rural area.Experts say gamba grass fires burn hotter and are more expensive to fightMitch Hart from Pew Charitable Trusts, who heads up the Gamba Grass Roots Alliance, says gamba grass fires burn "10 times hotter" than other fires and are quicker and more intense.
Charles Darwin University senior lecturer Natalie Rossiter Rachor has been studying gamba grass for 20 years and says each year the weed is spreading further and fires are growing more intense. He said two poor wet seasons and a hotter climate were also increasing the fire danger in the Top End.Mr Fischer urged people in Darwin's rural area to not just spray gamba grass, but to remove it altogether so fire could not use it as fuel.
"Now we have a situation where there needs to be a large number of people attending a fire, so a large number of grass fire units, volunteers, they have aerial response now … there's a whole range of equipment and staff that you would need to respond to these high-intensity, fast-moving, quite intense fires."
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Hotspot escapees flee to COVID-free NT | Sky News AustraliaDarwin’s Howard Springs quarantine facility has housed an increasing number of Australians looking to escape from hotspot locations to the COVID-19 free Northern Territory. \n\nThe Northern Territory government reported approximately 10,000 interstate travelers arrived in the territory since the border opened on July 17.\n\nChief Minister Michael Gunner said he had met Victorians who moved to the Northern Territory and were continuing to work remotely. \n\n“Sorry Dan, we’re taking your Victorians, this is a much better place to live,” he said. \n\nThe interstate arrivals could provide a much-needed boost for the Northern Territory's struggling economy and sluggish property market.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
First shot fired at slain Yuendumu teenager was 'justified', but following two 'unnecessary', court hearsA criminologist tells the Alice Springs Local Court the first shot fired by NT Police Constable Zachary Rolfe at Yuendumu teenager Kumanjayi Walker was 'justified', but the next two were 'excessive'.
Read more »
Two shootings in Sydney overnight latest in spate of gun violencePolice were called to a home in on Runcorn Street, St Johns Park, about 11.35pm on Tuesday, following reports numerous shots had been fired, damaging several windows and cars.
Read more »
Another four tonnes of explosive chemicals found near the site of the deadly Beirut blastA stockpile of 4.35 tonnes of ammonium nitrate has been found near the entrance to Beirut port, Lebanon's army says.
Read more »
Hotspot escapees flee to COVID-free NT | Sky News AustraliaDarwin’s Howard Springs quarantine facility has housed an increasing number of Australians looking to escape from hotspot locations to the COVID-19 free Northern Territory. \n\nThe Northern Territory government reported approximately 10,000 interstate travelers arrived in the territory since the border opened on July 17.\n\nChief Minister Michael Gunner said he had met Victorians who moved to the Northern Territory and were continuing to work remotely. \n\n“Sorry Dan, we’re taking your Victorians, this is a much better place to live,” he said. \n\nThe interstate arrivals could provide a much-needed boost for the Northern Territory's struggling economy and sluggish property market.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Josh Frydenberg set to announce first Australian recession in almost 30 yearsAustralia's first recession in almost 30 years is set to be confirmed on Wednesday, as workers have pandemic-sparked wage subsidies locked in until March.
Read more »