A NSW Firearms Registry employee admits she ignored 15 domestic violence-related entries about John Edwards on the police database while deciding whether he should have access to guns. Eighteen months later, he shot dead his son and daughter.
A NSW Firearms Registry employee admits she ignored 15 domestic violence-related entries about John Edwards on the police database while deciding whether he should have access to guns.An employee told the inquest that she did not look into 15 events linked to EdwardsThe woman, who can't be named for legal reasons, today told an inquest her role was "black and white", but in hindsight, she would have read the entries about assaults, stalking and violence.
The civilian registry clerk was helping assess whether Edwards should have a P650 permit for unlicensed shooting at approved ranges in January 2017.How he came to access firearms despite a long history of domestic violence is a central issue at an inquest into the deaths.Edwards's application was escalated to the registry because he disclosed he had previously been refused a licence in 2010, due to being the subject of an AVO and lying about it.
The registry employee's role was to perform a name check in the police database in deciding whether the application should progress. An audit showed while searching Edwards's profile she would have seen 18 separate incident entries, displayed in reverse-chronological order and given hyperlinked headlines that opened further data.
"Fifteen out of the 18 events linked to that related to either AVOs, stalking allegations, assault allegations or adverse interactions in relationships," Counsel Assisting Kate Richardson SC said.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
NSW Premier says government is stable, despite persistent crossbench threatsClarence MP Chris Gulaptis confirmed on Monday he was still willing to follow through with the threat to cross the floor if the koala planning policy was not watered down.
Read more »
NSW coronavirus statistic could force Qld borders to reopenAs Queensland’s chief medical officer hits back at criticism over keeping the border closed, NSW has recorded a promising reason why it should open.
Read more »
Concerns over declining testing rates as NSW records just four new coronavirus casesNSW has recorded four new COVID-19 cases, including one locally acquired infection but health authorities are warning there's no room for complacency amid lower testing rates.
Read more »
NSW records four new COVID-19 cases, but 'concern' over low testing numbersHealth authorities in NSW confirm four new cases of coronavirus but remain concerned about low resting rates with under 10,000 swabs completed on Sunday.
Read more »
NSW government to unveil strategy to revive Sydney's 24-hour economy | Sky News AustraliaMore late-night transport, longer opening hours and fewer restrictions for live music could be introduced under a plan to revive Sydney’s 24-hour economy.\n\nOn Monday, the New South Wales government is expected to reveal a new strategy to unlock the cities cultural and economic potential.\n\nA new coordinator general will be tasked with cutting red tape and regulation and the plan will include a city-wide map identifying night-time hotspots. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
John Barilaro asked to 'consider his position' following NSW Coalition's koala policy clashSenior NSW Liberal MPs call for Nationals Leader John Barilaro to consider his position in the wake of last week's stoush that threatened to destroy the Coalition.
Read more »