Tensions have flared again on the disputed India-China border, after the two nuclear powers accused each other of firing warning shots, breaking a protocol on firearms that had been in place for decades.
India and China have agreed to"disengage as soon as possible" after troops engaged in a series of clashes at their disputed Himalayan border, according to a joint statement from the two countries.
The nuclear-armed neighbours accused each other this week of firing shots across the flashpoint border - intensifying a months-long standoff that has already claimed at least 20 lives. An Indian army convoy moves on the Srinagar- Ladakh highway at Gagangeer, northeast of Srinagar, Indian-controlled Kashmir, 9 September 2020.Tens of thousands of troops from both sides have been deployed to the border, which sits at an altitude of more than 4,000 metres.
After a meeting Thursday between Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar in Moscow, a joint statement said the two sides had agreed to de-escalate. " border defense forces of both countries should continue dialogue, disengage as soon as possible, maintain the necessary distance, and ease the situation on the ground," the statement said.Throughout the dispute, China and India have issued similar statements calling for restraint and to ease tensions.The countries fought a brief border war in 1962, but officially no shots have been fired in the area since 1975 when four Indian troops were killed in an ambush.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
India and China agree to de-escalate border tensions, restore 'peace and tranquillity'Nuclear-armed Asian neighbours agree to 'quickly disengage' along a contested Himalayan border area, after high-level talks in Moscow.
Read more »
'Blatant irrational behaviour': China slams Australia over foreign interference investigationChina accuses Australia of 'blatantly violating the legitimate rights and interests' of Chinese citizens in Australia after the Federal Government said it would revoke the visas of two academics and allegedly green-lit ASIO raids on four journalists.
Read more »
A pioneering China correspondent writes: it's much more risky todayOpinion: The swift and unceremonious exit of two Australian journalists from Beijing shows the situation for foreign correspondents in China to be apparently worse now than it was in the mid-1970s at the tail end of the brutal cultural revolution
Read more »
China hits back with ‘tit for tat’ claimIn the wake of two Australian journalists being rushed out of China by their news organisations over fears they were no longer safe, the nation’s state-run media have claimed Chinese journalists were subjected to similar treatment while working here.
Read more »
China is bullying Australia, says global coalition of MPsExclusive: A global coalition of MPs from democratic nations has condemned China's intimidation of two Australian journalists, saying it shows China bullies those who challenge it | latikambourke
Read more »
China-Australia dispute escalates after 'tit for tat' investigationsBeijing's decision to to force two Australian journalists to leave China came after counterespionage agency ASIO questioned at least one Chinese journalist in Australia and the visas of two prominent academics were cancelled | Gallo_Ways ErykBagshaw
Read more »