In the latest round of political tit-for-tat, two Australian scholars have been barred from entering China, without any explanation.
more than 380 suspected detention centres in the Xinjiang region, including “re-education camps” and high-security prison-style facilities.It’s the latest in an ongoing tit-for-tat between Australia and China, which has resulted in Australian journalists Bill Birtles and Michael Smith being rushed out of China, and Chinese academics Chen Hong and Li Jianjun having their visas cancelled.
What’s puzzling is that unlike the two Chinese academics who had existing Australian visas, neither Joske or Hamilton had visas to cancel or were applying to go to China.In a tweet, Birtles said the latest move from China was “puzzling”, because unlike the Chinese academics who had existing Australian visas, neither Joske or Hamilton “had visas to cancel or were applying to go to China”.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Beijing bans Australian researchers in tit-for-tatAustralian researchers Clive Hamilton and Alex Joske have been banned from entering China, Chinese state media reported, less than two weeks after it was revealed Australia had revoked the visas of two Chinese academics | ErykBagshaw
Read more »
Smith stars in comeback game after concussionSteve Smith made a winning return from concussion after missing Australia's one-day international series against England.
Read more »
Palaszczuk is moved by ‘polling, not health advice’: Murray | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Paul Murray says Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk cares more about polling than health advice after Queensland’s border restrictions eased at the same time polling results did not go in her favour.\n\nIt comes as the Queensland government opened its border to ACT residents and announced it will be relaxing its border to parts of northern New South Wales from October 1.\n\nA state-wide poll recently revealed Queenslanders prefer Scott Morrison over Ms Palaszczuk when it comes to the handling of COVID-19; while another poll revealed 61 per cent of Queenslanders have lost faith in the state government.\n\n“Was it the reality of the virus numbers that have moved the premier now … well of course not, it was polling,” Mr Murray said.\n\n“She’ll react overnight, just like she has multiple times before when the polls start to turn on her.\n\n“Polling is what moves this premier, not the health advice.”\n
Read more »
New South Wales Labor MP warns against Daniel Andrews’ emergency measure | Sky News AustraliaNSW Labor MP Chris Minns has told Sky News the country must be very careful about the emergency measures bill in Victoria as “unscrupulous governments” could use similar measures on their citizens.\n\nThe Victorian government's COVID-19 Omnibus Emergency Measures and Other Acts Amendment Bill was rushed through the state's legislative assembly last week, and is set to be voted on in the upper house.\n\nThe bill – which will last until April 2021 – gives officers the power to detain people whom they perceive to be a high-risk person (either with COVID-19 or a close contact) and who refuses to comply with health directives.\n\nMr Minns told Sky News the fact “junior officers” will be responsible for detaining people who they only suspect as breaking the law is extremely worrying.\n\n“We have to be very, very concerned about the emergency measures bill in Victoria, particularly the preventative detention aspects of it”.\n
Read more »
China doesn't 'deserve the prestige and privilege' of hosting 2022 Winter Olympics | Sky News AustraliaChina should be stripped from hosting the 2022 Winter Olympic Games for the simple reason it doesn't 'deserve the prestige and privilege' of hosting such an important international forum according to Liberal Senator Eric Abetz. \n\nIt comes as widespread calls have emerged demanding China not host the upcoming Winter Games. \n\nSky News host Chris Kenny said China's treatment of minorities, imprisonment of vast numbers of dissenters and minorities, its virtual annexation of Hong Kong and its flagrant disregard for international law with its fortifications in the South China Sea are all reasons why there is a 'concerted push' by politicians for the Winter Games to be taken from the nation. \n\nMr Abetz said 'it's about time that the freedom loving countries of the world said to the communist dictatorship in China, enough is enough'. \n
Read more »
Trump demands UN holds China accountable for failing to manage COVID-19 | Sky News AustraliaUS President Donald Trump has again taken aim at China, demanding the United Nations hold the Communist regime accountable for its failure to contain COVID-19 during the early days of the pandemic.\n\nThe Trump administration has long blamed Beijing for its handling of the virus which originated in Wuhan.\n\nChinese President Xi Jinping also addressed the assembly, calling for a global response to the pandemic.\n\nHe says the world should follow the guidance of science and give the World Health Organisation a leading role.\n
Read more »