China has warned Australia of ‘serious consequences’ over the South China Sea as US reports emerge it is building a naval base in Cambodia.
despite assurances to the contrary.
Ministry of Defence spokesman Tan Kefei said on Tuesday that the People’s Liberation Army organised naval and air forces to identify the Australian aircraft when it entered airspace near the disputed Paracel Islands, also known as the Xisha Islands, of which China has control, although they are also claimed by Vietnam and Taiwan.
Mr Tan said the response measures taken by the Chinese military were professional, safe, reasonable and legal. He accused Australia of spreading false information. Canberra lodged a protest with Beijing on Sunday after a Chinese J-16 fighter last month flew alongside then cut across an RAAF P-8 maritime surveillance plane, releasing flares and chaff that was ingested by the engine.earlier said the intercept was dangerous and posed a safety threat to the aircraft and its crew.