A committal hearing for Zach Rolfe — the Northern Territory police officer charged with Mr Walker's murder — has heard from police witnesses about events leading up to the shooting in November last year.
Footage of Yuendumu teenager Kumanjayi Walker running at police with an axe in the days before he was fatally shot has been played at the committal hearing for the officer charged with his murder.
In the footage shown to the court, Mr Walker can be seen yelling and brandishing an axe while running through a doorway at police who had gone to a home in the community to arrest him on Wednesday, November 6. The officers ran out of Mr Walker's way and were not injured but Sergeant Frost told the court Mr Walker "could have been shot".
The court heard Sergeant Frost had spoken with Mr Walker's grandparents following the botched arrest attempt and agreed to allow Mr Walker to attend a funeral and memorial concert in Yuendumu if he handed himself in to police afterwards."I also know that funerals for Aboriginal people are particularly important — it was partly a bargaining chip and partly out of respect, to let him go to the funeral.
The court heard an "alert of violence" had been added to Mr Walker's police file after the axe incident, alerting police officers to the risk of potential violence. Defence counsel Mr Edwardson QC put to Constable First Class Bonney that Mr Rolfe told colleagues, "I'm okay, I've got this stab wound," but did not elaborate on how the injury happened.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
The committal hearing in the Kumanjayi Walker case starts today. Here's how it will workA four-day hearing begins in Alice Springs today to determine whether NT Police Constable Zachary Rolfe will stand trial over the alleged murder of 19-year-old Kumanjayi Walker.
Read more »
Crows player trains instead of facing court for alleged drink drivingThe Adelaide Crows have reaffirmed support for young forward Tyson Stengle, who trained with the side this morning at the same time his drink-driving case went before court.
Read more »
Could the International Criminal Court sit in Asia for the first time?Two Australian lawyers acting on behalf of Rohingya refugees are pushing to have the International Criminal Court sit in Asia for the first time.
Read more »
Workers have a right to take toilet breaks, court rulesA McDonald's franchisee had claimed crew members were only legally entitled to use the bathroom and get a drink while on rostered breaks | nickbonyhady
Read more »
Cairns backpacker 'very very lucky' to survive knife attack, court hearsA 26-year-old from Chile was attacked by a hostel worker as she washed her coffee cup at a communal kitchen, before running to a local shopping centre for help, a Far North Queensland court hears.
Read more »
Man faces court accused of lighting dangerous bushfire south of DarwinThe 24-year-old is accused of lighting a blaze near Adelaide River as emergency services battled catastrophic conditions and multiple fires across the Top End last week.
Read more »