Nationals MP Barnaby_Joyce has labelled Victoria Premier DanielAndrewsMP an 'economic bushranger' following the unveiling of his lockdown recovery roadmap.
Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce has labelled Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews an "economic bushranger" following the unveiling of his lockdown recovery roadmap. Mr Joyce told Sky News "Victoria is known for its bushrangers", such as Ned Kelly and the Glen Rowan Hotel and now it had Daniel Andrews who he said was "one of the great economic bushrangers of the modern era".
Under the rules, rural and regional Victoria would not be able to move to the third stage of reopening - including patrons being allowed to sit at restaurants - until it achieved an average of fewer than five new cases a day and zero cases of unknown origin over a two week period. "It's illogical.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'Dan Andrews has restarted lockdown, and the media is helping him lie': Murray | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Paul Murray said to anyone who thought they were getting out of home detention on September 13th and has been told by the media they’ll just have to wait another couple of weeks, well it’s not true.\n\nMr Andrews announced on Sunday tentative dates for the easing of restrictions, should new case numbers remain low. \n\nMelbourne metropolitan area will continue with its stage four lockdowns until at least September 28. \n\nFrom September 28, if cases drop to between 30 and 50 on average across the 14 days, outdoor gatherings will be increased to five people. \n\nFrom October 26 if there are under five daily cases for 14 days, including less than five mystery cases, curfew will be lifted, there will be no restrictions on leaving home, up to 10 people can gather outdoors and five people can visit households. \n\nThe last step, from November 23, if there are no cases for 14 days across the state, will see outdoor gatherings increase to 50 people, home visitors up to 20.\n\n“Daniel Andrews is lying to the people of Victoria and the media is helping him get away with it – no giant surprise,” Mr Murray said. \n\nMr Murray said the media had been incorrectly advertising the lockdown was simply extended for another few weeks, when really, it had been extended until the end of October. \n\n “He has effectively restarted the lockdown, another six weeks,” he said. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Regional Victoria a 'step ahead' of Metropolitan Melbourne: Andrews | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced, “regional Victoria is essentially a step ahead of metropolitan Melbourne” and restrictions will start to be eased accordingly.\n\n“Regional Victoria, essentially, has completely different settings as it stands now”.\n\n“There is no extension of the current arrangements and they will be able to move a step ahead of metropolitan Melbourne”. \n\nThe Premier said regional areas would “move to step two” and will be reassessed every 14 days based on total case numbers but warned the Geelong Corridor could be “held back” due to higher case numbers. \n\n“We think that regional Victoria will essentially be able to move to the third step quite soon and it will be, perhaps, a matter of weeks before regional Victoria can move to a very different range of settings compared to metropolitan Melbourne”.\n\n“That would mean more shops open, more people back at work, people still working from home in some instances”.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Andrews govt roadmap a 'document of despair' | Sky News AustraliaAi CEO Innes Willox says Daniel Andrews’ ‘so called roadmap’ is just a ‘document of despair’ and there is no hope or optimism for businesses. \n\nMr Andrews announced tentative dates for the easing of restrictions, should new case numbers remain low.\n\nMelbourne metropolitan area will continue with its stage four lockdowns until at least September 28.\n\n“In the last 15 minutes I’ve had two business owners, who I think between them employ 1,000 people, come up to me and say they are at their wit’s end,” Mr Willox told Sky News.\n\n“This is no roadmap out, this is just a document of despair.\n\n“There is no hope, no optimism here, there’s no clarity for business.\n\n“This is no roadmap out for Victorian business.”\n
Read more »
Andrews praises Victorians’ ‘amazing’ work as 41 new cases, nine deaths confirmed | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Premier Daniel Andrews has praised Victorians for “amazing” work combating COVID-19 after the state recorded 41 new cases and nine deaths – including four “mystery” infections.\n\nHe said the figures raise the total number of confirmed cases to 19,574 and 675 deaths in the state. \n\nMr Andrews said the deaths announced on Monday included one woman in her 70s, one woman and three men in their 80s, one woman and three men in their 90s – eight of which were linked to aged care.\n\nHe said Victoria has 1781 active cases across the state – with regional Victoria accounting for just 95 current infections.\n\n“These numbers are low, and they are being driven even lower because of the amazing work every single person in regional Victoria is doing – just like those in Melbourne,” he said.\t\n\nMr Andrews said 266 Victorians are in hospital for COVID-19, 25 of which are in intensive care and 17 of which are on ventilators.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Epidemiologists ‘sceptical’ of Andrews’ modelling | Sky News AustraliaSky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says many epidemiologists are sceptical of the University of Melbourne modelling that underpins the Victorian government’s COVID-19 response.\n\nMr Clennell said Victoria could refine its modelling and raise the minimum number of cases required to ease restrictions. \n \n“To base these threshold decisions on a generic model is really troubling to me,” Deakin University Epidemiology Professor Catherine Bennett said.\n \n“I don’t know why we’re not using our own data to get much more precise about what’s going on in our community.”\n \nUniversity of Melbourne Epidemiologist Professor Tony Blakely, who did the modelling, said the model could be beaten.\n \n“If we do our contact tracing better than we did three months ago, the contact tracers may be able to hold the case count without it going up again as badly as our model suggests,” Professor Blakely said. \n \nDoherty Institute Professor Jodie McVernon said five cases per day was a tough threshold to reach. \n \n“Five cases occurring in the family of a healthcare worker who are all at home in quarantine is not the same as five mystery cases in the community, and we have a target for zero of those which NSW is currently not achieving,” Professor McVernon said. \n \nMeanwhile, Peter Collignon, an infectious diseases physician at the Australian National University, said Victoria had raised the bar to re-open too high and contact tracing in the state has yet to get its act together.\n \nImage: Getty\n
Read more »
Daniel Andrews 'obsessing over all the wrong things' | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Chris Kenny says Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews 'is just wrong for this task' as he engages in micromanaging while obsessing over all the wrong things in his bid to stem the spread of the virus. \n\nMr Andrews announced on Sunday tentative dates for the easing of restrictions, should new case numbers remain low.\n\nThe Melbourne metropolitan area will continue with its stage four lockdowns until at least September 28.\n\nWhile the curfew facing parts of the state will be slightly eased to 9:00pm and people will be allowed to exercise for two hours per day.\n\nMr Kenny said the roadmap 'leaves a curfew in place until the end of October; by that time Victorians will have been forced to stay home, overnight, for three months”. \n\n“This is reckless, this is madness, it hurts people, and it all happens while the deaths continue to occur, not in the broader community, but almost exclusively in aged care facilities, where the precautions and focus should have been more intense, much earlier.\n\n“Victoria needs someone who can look at the big picture, make the big calls about balancing the costs and benefits, risks and rewards of a virus, a health system, a society and an economy.”\n\n'Not someone fussing over skate park rules'. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »