Dining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVID

Australia News News

Dining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVID
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 theage
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 64 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 29%
  • Publisher: 77%

BREAKING: Bars and restaurants will take their operations to the streets this summer under a $100 million package designed to prop up Melbourne's hospitality sector and arts community. coronavirus COVID19 COVID19Vic covid19victoria

"The $100 million to support the city, given the unique burden it carries, is a very important partnership and one that will make a real difference as we push through this and get to the other side," Mr Andrews said.

There, indoor dining is banned but footpaths, lanes and even some streets have been transformed into open-air bars, cafes and restaurants.The Premier said the state government was keen to avoid unnecessary "bureaucratic delays" in allowing businesses to move their operations outside. Outside the CBD, a further $87.5 million outdoor hospitality support package will offer support to suburban hospitality businesses for training, advertising and practical support to help them move onto footpaths and lanes.

It showed the Andrews government's decision last month to move from stage three to stage four restrictions will cost the city's economy $61 billion over five years – although the modelling did not take into account the economic or health impacts of a worsening pandemic. Under the government's plan to leave lockdown, hospitality businesses will be able to reopen for limited dining and retail businesses will reopen from October 26 if the 14-day COVID-19 case average has fallen to five or fewer, with no more than five cases of an unknown origin.Restaurants and bars will be able to apply for funding for outdoor seating, and screens to separate dining areas, and set up their operations on footpaths and some streets in the CBD.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

theage /  🏆 8. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Dining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVIDDining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVIDThe outdoor dining policy is modelled on New York's Open Restaurants initiative, which is credited with helping 9500 restaurants and cafes stay afloat during COVID-19 restrictions.
Read more »

More funds promised for Victorian businesses to create summer outdoor dining cultureMore funds promised for Victorian businesses to create summer outdoor dining cultureThe Victorian Government promises $290 million to help businesses survive lockdown and implement an outdoor dining culture that will be enjoyed 'for many summers' to come. It's on top of yesterday's $3 billion package.
Read more »

Outdoor dining boost for Victoria announced, based on London and New York's virus transformationThe project is based on major changes made to the restaurant industry in New York City and London, where traders have moved outside onto roads and footpaths. 9News
Read more »

Dining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVIDDining on the streets: $100m fund to help Melbourne recover from COVIDThe outdoor dining policy is modelled on New York's Open Restaurants initiative, which is credited with helping 9500 restaurants and cafes stay afloat during COVID-19 restrictions.
Read more »

At least three arrested, as police outweigh anti-lockdown protesters in MelbourneAt least three arrested, as police outweigh anti-lockdown protesters in MelbourneAt least three people have been detained by police and others have been told to move on during a peaceful COVID-19 anti-lockdown protest in Melbourne.
Read more »

Royal Melbourne Hospital was forced to close four wards as COVID outbreak hitRoyal Melbourne Hospital was forced to close four wards as COVID outbreak hitAt the peak of the crisis in early August, so many staff were off sick or in quarantine, remaining staff were experiencing extremely high workloads and care was becoming difficult – forcing the hospital’s decision to close wards
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 04:15:36