Elephant riding on holiday should be banned, British travel companies told

Australia News News

Elephant riding on holiday should be banned, British travel companies told
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 YahooNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 59 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 59%

Elephant riding to be banned under holiday company guidelines, British Travel Association says

Elephant rides on holidays have been deemed unacceptable by new British Travel Association guidelines, the trade body has announced.

The trade body, which encompasses most of Britain's travel companies, said that in its new guidelines, due to be released in November, activities that include interacting with an elephant without a barrier will be deemed unacceptable. The British Travel Association writes the Animal Welfare Guidelines used by most of the travel companies in the UK, and companies abroad also look to their guidelines for advice on the issue.

The trade body hopes to encourage holiday destinations in other countries to move to activities"where the animals are viewed from an appropriate distance while providing them with as much access to their natural habitat as possible, and ensuring they are not subject to any punishment and cruelty." "It is vital that we stop thinking of direct contact with elephants, such as riding them or washing them, or watching elephant performances in captivity, as harmless fun: in reality such practices are unnatural, unnecessary and riddled with cruelty. Similar problems of captive animal exploitation exist for many other animal species, and we encourage ABTA to continue to advance their standards accordingly.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

YahooNews /  🏆 380. in US

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Thomas Cook Shuts Down, Stranding Hundreds of Thousands of TravelersThomas Cook Shuts Down, Stranding Hundreds of Thousands of TravelersBritish travel company Thomas Cook said it has entered into compulsory liquidation and that all bookings, including flights and holidays, had been canceled—a shutdown affecting more than 600,000 global vacationers.
Read more »

Factbox: European reaction to Thomas Cook bankruptcyFactbox: European reaction to Thomas Cook bankruptcyBritish travel operator Thomas Cook , which ran hotels, resorts and airlines fer...
Read more »

Factbox: Countries' different reactions to Thomas Cook bankruptcyFactbox: Countries' different reactions to Thomas Cook bankruptcyBritish travel operator Thomas Cook ran hotels, resorts and airlines ferrying 19...
Read more »

EastEnders star Shane Richie apologises for Thomas Cook 'Karma' tweetEastEnders star Shane Richie apologises for Thomas Cook 'Karma' tweetThe tweet - which was dubbed 'disgusting' by a follower - came after the travel company collapsed
Read more »

Factbox: Key dates in the history of tour company Thomas CookFactbox: Key dates in the history of tour company Thomas CookThe bosses of Thomas Cook , the world's oldest travel company, were meeting...
Read more »

Roughly 600,000 travelers are stranded around the world after British travel provider Thomas Cook declared bankruptcy.Roughly 600,000 travelers are stranded around the world after British travel provider Thomas Cook declared bankruptcy.The 178-year-old tour operator failed to secure a £200 million rescue on Sunday, leading it to suspend its flights and bookings.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-07 02:32:08