.Facebook has threatened to ban Australian users and publishers from sharing news stories in a bid to avoid paying for news under the draft news media bargaining code.
Facebook has threatened to ban Australian users and publishers from sharing news stories in a bid to avoid paying for news under the draft news media bargaining code. Responding via a blog post, Facebook accused the federal government of "misunderstanding the dynamics of the internet".
The government announced they were seeking to make giant tech companies like Google and Facebook compensate Australian media companies for content published on the platforms. Facebook warned if the draft code became law, they would "reluctantly stop allowing publishers and people in Australia from sharing local and international news" on both Facebook and Instagram.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Facebook threatens to ban Australians from sharing newsAustralians could be blocked from sharing news content on Facebook and Instagram, with news organisations not allowed to post their content to the platforms if a world-first attempt to govern news on social media becomes law.
Read more »
Why Facebook is threatening to stop Australian users from sharing news contentFacebook is threatening to stop people in Australia from sharing local and international news if the social media giant is forced to pay news organisations.
Read more »
'Not our first choice': Facebook threatens to block news in AustraliaBreaking: Facebook is threatening to remove all news from its platforms in Australia in a major attack on a new regulatory code that would force it and Google to pay publishers for content | zoesam93
Read more »
Latest & Breaking News Melbourne, Victoria | The AgeThe Age has the latest local news on Melbourne, Victoria. Read National News from Australia, World News, Business News and Breaking News stories.
Read more »
Stories of Chinese infiltration in Australian universities are 'truly frightening' | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Paul Murray says stories revealed over the weekend of Chinese government infiltration in Australian universities are “truly frightening.”\n\nMr Murray said there was a suggestion the University of Technology Sydney hired someone who previously worked for a Chinese consulate. \n\n“Another Australian academic was working for a university that dealt with defence information from the Chinese side,” he said. \n\n“There’s a South Australian Liberal MP … she has been, according to the Australian newspaper, deleting as many photos off social media of her at a Beijing backed community organisation.” \n
Read more »
Australian journalist detained in China increasingly vocal about border closures prior to detainment | Sky News AustraliaSky News understands an Australian journalist detained in China while working for an English language news channel in Beijing, had become increasingly vocal about the country's border closures as she struggled to get her children into the country.\n\nCheng Lei was an anchor at Chinese state-owned broadcast channel CGTN where she worked for eight years.\n\nIn a statement, Foreign Minister Marise Payne said the Australian Government was 'informed that an Australian citizen, Ms Cheng Lei, has been detained in China”.\n\n“Formal notification was received on 14 August 2020 from Chinese authorities of her detention”.\n\nChina's government allows individuals to be detained by authorities for up to six months without legal aid, even before a formal charge is laid under 'residential surveillance at a designated location' powers.\n\nAustralian officials made contact with Ms Cheng via a video link on August 27.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n\n
Read more »