France questioned Australia's commitment to submarine deal in June - source

Australia News News

France questioned Australia's commitment to submarine deal in June - source
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 22 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 12%
  • Publisher: 97%

France began doubting Australia's commitment to a $40 billion submarine order in June and President Emmanuel Macron was only informed by Canberra of the deal's collapse in writing hours before it was announced, a French presidency official said.

The official said there had been no hint of the contract cancellation when Macron met Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in Paris in mid-June, shortly after a meeting of G7 leaders in Britain.

Canberra's move enraged Paris, triggering an unprecedented diplomatic crisis that analysts say could do lasting damage to U.S. alliances with France and Europe. It has also riled China, the major rising power in the Indo-Pacific region. "Morrison said nothing to suggest this and they agreed to continue working. The president later wrote at length to Morrison to address his concerns," the official continued.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

France decries 'duplicity' in U.S.-Australia nuclear submarine dealFrance decries 'duplicity' in U.S.-Australia nuclear submarine dealFrance's foreign minister denounces what he calls the “duplicity, disdain and lies” surrounding Australia's decision to end France's contract to make submarines for the country in favor of a US deal, declaring a crisis is at hand among the Western allies.
Read more »

Australia says it was 'upfront' with France over submarine deal as crisis continuesAustralia says it was 'upfront' with France over submarine deal as crisis continuesAustralia was 'upfront, open and honest' with France about its concerns over a deal for French submarines, its defence minister said on Sunday, as a new deal with the United States and Britain continued to fuel a multinational diplomatic crisis.
Read more »

Australia says France knew of 'grave' submarine concernsAustralia says France knew of 'grave' submarine concernsFrance would have known Australia had “deep and grave concerns” that a submarine fleet the French were building would not meet Australian needs, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said after the contract's cancellation set off a diplomatic crisis.
Read more »

U.S. Spat With France Shows Challenge of Keeping Allies UnifiedU.S. Spat With France Shows Challenge of Keeping Allies UnifiedThe diplomatic rupture with France over a new security pact among the U.S., Australia and the U.K. shows the Biden administration is struggling to maintain unity even among its closest friends
Read more »

France sees 'crisis' over submarine cancellation - Le DrianFrance sees 'crisis' over submarine cancellation - Le DrianFrance is in a 'crisis' with the United States and Australia after Canberra's cancellation of a multi-billion dollar submarine order led Paris to recall envoys from its allies, French Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said. France said on Friday it was recalling its ambassadors from Washington and Canberra over a trilateral security deal also involving Britain which sank the submarine contract with Paris.
Read more »

France sees 'crisis' over submarine cancellation - Le DrianFrance sees 'crisis' over submarine cancellation - Le DrianFrance is in a 'crisis' with the United States and Australia after Canberra's cancellation of a multi-billion dollar submarine order led Paris to recall envoys from its allies, French Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 22:09:51