Hospital surge plans dumped as virus spreads

Australia News News

Hospital surge plans dumped as virus spreads
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 smh
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 50 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 80%

Exclusive: Coronavirus clusters are spreading through Victoria's aged care homes and hospitals, infecting healthcare workers, vulnerable patients and elderly residents

While the state has thousands of vacant hospital beds for those infected by the latest outbreak, the lack of targeted planning is expected to place further strain on the budget.

Australian Medical Association Victorian president Julian Rait said he was extremely concerned by the rise in infections in hospitals and aged care homes.Health Purchasing Victoria had wanted fewer than 1000 of the monitors, before eventually agreeing to take about 2000. A Lendlease spokeswoman said it had "no current agreements or works in place at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre".

A staff member at the Doutta Galla Lynch’s Bridge nursing home in Kensington may have unknowingly exposed elderly residents to the virus after attending work on July 2 and 3 while infectious. An employee at Baptcare Karana age care facility in Kew has been infected, but the Health Department said they did not work while infectious.A doctor at Melbourne’s St Vincent’s Hospital tested positive, sending 15 staff into quarantine after potential exposure, while a rehabilitation patient at the Epworth Hospital in Hawthorn was also infected with the virus.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

smh /  🏆 6. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

WHO may have been wrong about the way COVID-19 spreads | Sky News AustraliaWHO may have been wrong about the way COVID-19 spreads | Sky News AustraliaThe World Health Organisation is reviewing new evidence which suggests COVID-19 can be spread from human to human through the air.\n\nMore than 200 scientists from 32 countries penned a letter to the organisation claiming virus particles could float and would infect people who breathed them in.\n\nThe WHO previously said the virus primarily spread via small droplets that quickly sink to the ground.\n\n'A comprehensive package of interventions are required to be able to stop transmission,' WHO Technical Lead Dr Maria Van Kerkhove said.\n\n'This includes not only physical distancing, it includes the use of masks where appropriate in certain settings... especially for health care workers.'\n\nImage: AP\n\n
Read more »

Victoria records 134 new virus casesVictoria records 134 new virus casesBREAKING: Victoria has confirmed 134 news cases of coronavirus as Melbourne is placed into lockdown.
Read more »

Coronavirus: Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro says he has tested positive for COVID-19JUST IN: Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro says he has tested positive for COVID-19 after months of downplaying the virus' severity. 9News
Read more »

Trump under fire as US coronavirus deaths surpass 130,000Trump under fire as US coronavirus deaths surpass 130,000The US President has been criticised for suggesting that 99 per cent of coronavirus cases are 'totally harmless' as the rate of infection soars across the nation.
Read more »

Australia needs a 'national plan' to deal with Melbourne's COVID outbreak | Sky News AustraliaAustralia needs a 'national plan' to deal with Melbourne's COVID outbreak | Sky News AustraliaThe recent surge in COVID-19 cases in Victoria highlights need for a cohesive, national economic recovery plan, according to Centre Alliance Senator Rex Patrick.\n\nPremier Daniel Andrews has confirmed 134 new coronavirus cases in Victoria in the past 24 hours, 75 of which are from public housing towers across Melbourne.\n\nUnder the state's new lockdown measures - set to come into full force at midnight tonight - the state will remain closed for up to six weeks before the government considers easing restrictions.\n\nAs a result of the surging number of COVID cases in Melbourne, the border between New South Wales and Victoria will close at midnight on Tuesday.\n\nWith Victoria responsible for more than 20 per cent of Australia's GDP, the need for national economic recovery plan plan is pressing, Mr Patrick told Sky News.\n\n“One of the problems we’ve got is that we’re not seeing an integrated plan, something that looks at all aspects including infrastructure as a mechanism for growth, having some elements of manufacturing encouraged for value add and self-reliance,' he said.\n\n“We need to look at this as a national issue and we need to focus on solutions.\n\n “We need to be looking right across the spectrum at the entire package. \n\n“We need an integrated plan.”\n\n
Read more »

One day after testing negative for coronavirus, Ahmed was in emergency with the virusOne day after testing negative for coronavirus, Ahmed was in emergency with the virusMelbourne youth leader Ahmed Hassan was told his COVID-19 test was negative, but the next day he was rushed to hospital in terrible pain and shaking, and now testing positive for coronavirus.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 21:28:02