Most elective surgeries were suspended in Victoria in July to free up staff and hospital beds to help control Victoria's second outbreak of coronavirus. But with COVID-19 numbers quickly falling Premier Daniel Andrews today outlined the state's plan to resume surgeries.
It's been nearly two months since the Victorian Government suspended most elective surgery.
At the time of the announcement the state had recorded nearly 400 cases in one day, and all elective surgery except the most urgent procedures were cancelled.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Victoria to re-start elective surgery from Thursday | Sky News AustraliaA plan to safely resume elective surgery has been announced by Premier Daniel Andrews for both regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne.\n\nMr Andrews described the plan as a “cautious and safe reintroduction of elective surgery” which will gradually ramp up operations until the backlog is eliminated.\n\nThe Premier said there would be “extra funding to make sure that extra surgery is done in quick time”.\n\n“There will be a lot of catch-up to be done here, but our health system, working as a service, public and private, working together, are equal to that task,' he said.\n\nVictorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said regional Victoria would 'move to 85 per cent of usual activity' on Sepetember 28, before going to '100 per cent of activity when we get to the last step,' expected to be in late November.\n\n“For metropolitan Melbourne, as I said, going to 75 per cent on September 28, moving then to 85 per cent at the third step, which is expected to be in late October, and then 100 per cent of usual activity at the last step, which is expected to be towards the end of November,' she said. \n\nVictoria reported less than 1,000 active COVID-19 cases and the coronavirus caseload continues on a positive downward trend.\n\n\n\n
Read more »
Elective surgeries to resume as Victoria records 42 new infections and eight deathsVictoria has had eight coronavirus deaths, taking the state's toll to 737 and the national figure to 824, as the state's active cases drop below 1000.
Read more »
Falling coronavirus cases prompt restart in elective surgeryVictoria has recorded 42 new coronavirus cases with Melbourne's crucial 14-day case average falling below 50 for the first time since the second wave peaked. Sadly eight more Victorians have died.
Read more »
Victorian health minister concedes hospital restrictions are 'very challenging' | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos has admitted restrictions surrounding hospital visits are “very challenging” after reports emerged of a mother being denied seeing her child who is on life support in a Melbourne hospital. \n\n“My thoughts are with that family. I can't imagine the heartbreak that they're going through at the moment and if there's anything that I can do to assist that family, I'm very happy to look into this case,' she told the media. \n\nMs Mikakos said she was not familiar with the case but was willing to investigate it further.\n\nThe Health Minister affirmed the strict rules around visitations were formulated following the chief health officer’s directions earlier in the year amid fears of virus outbreaks among health workers. \n\n“They have been developed in close consultation with health services and with peak bodies... who had a lot of concerns earlier in the year about the risks to staff, to health care workers, of large numbers of visitors coming through our hospitals,” she said. \n\n'The hospitals have the ability to, I guess, go beyond that and impose even stricter rules if they think that's appropriate to their particular circumstances. \n\n“There are exemptions there for palliative care situations. I think, you know, there is a need to have some flexibility on a case-by-case basis here where you've got such a tragic case.”\n\nImage: News Corp Australia \n\n
Read more »
Class action takes aim at Victorian Government for lost jobsA class action being launched against the Victorian Government argues that if it weren't for the failures in hotel quarantine, people wouldn't have lost their jobs.
Read more »
This is the number Victorians are watching to ease out of the coronavirus lockdownVictoria's multi-step roadmap to eased coronavirus restrictions depends heavily on the lowering of its 14-day case average. But what is it, and where does it need to be?
Read more »