India’s health ministry reported 4092 fatalities over the past 24 hours, taking the overall death toll to 242,362
. New cases rose by 403,738, just shy of the record and increasing the total since the start of the pandemic to 22.3 million.Credit:India has been hit hard by a second COVID-19 wave with cases and deaths hitting record highs every other day. With an acute shortage of oxygen and beds in many hospitals and morgues and crematoriums overflowing, experts have said the actual numbers for COVID-19 cases and fatalities could be far higher.
Many Indian states have imposed strict lockdowns over the past month to stem the surge in infections while others have announced restrictions on public movement and shut down cinemas, restaurants, pubs and shopping malls. On Sunday, India’s national capital Delhi and the northern state of Uttar Pradesh extended their lockdown and curfew rules until May 17.
But pressure is mounting on Prime Minister Narendra Modi to announce a nationwide lockdown similar to the one imposed during the first wave last year.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
India's daily COVID-19 death toll surpasses 4000 for the first timeThe country's health ministry reported a record 4,187 fatalities for the previous 24 hours, as well as more than 400,000 new infections for the third day in a row. 9News
Read more »
Vlad the vaccinator: Dracula's castle lures visitors with COVID-19 jabsVisitors to Dracula's castle are more likely to find puncture marks in their arms than their necks this month, after medics set up a COVID-19 vaccination centre at the Transylvanian attraction.
Read more »
Malaysia locks down again as COVID-19 cases surgeA surge in highly infectious variants of the coronavirus prompts a third nationwide lockdown in Malaysia.
Read more »
Positive case's close contacts return negative COVID-19 tests | Sky News AustraliaThe Victorian man who tested positive after completing hotel quarantine in South Australia has returned another positive test, but his three household contacts have not.\n\nHe underwent the mandatory 14-day quarantine period in South Australia after returning to Australia and arrived back in Victoria on May 4.\n\nHe began displaying COVID symptoms when he returned to his Wollert home on May 8 and got tested on May 10 before returning a positive result on Tuesday morning.\n\nVictoria Health Minister Martin Foley outlined the tier-one sites the infected man visited. People who visited these sites must get tested and isolate for 14 days.\n\n“Firstly, the Melbourne CBD, the Curry Vault Indian restaurant and bar at 18 to 20 Bank Place between 6:30pm and 9:30pm on Friday, 7 May,' Mr Foley said,\n\n“Secondly, in Epping, Indiagate Spices and Groceries at unit 14 C, 560 - 590 High St, Epping between 5pm and 6pm on Saturday eight May.”\n\nThe tier-two sites listed require people to return a negative COVID-19 test result.\n\n“The first site is in Altona North. It is the TIC group, which is a warehouse, it is the rear warehouse section at 200 and 32 Blackshaw Road, all day on Thursday 6 May. \n\n“In Epping at 7-11, and that is the 7-11 at 705 High St, which is on the corner of Cowper Street between 6:30pm and 7pm on Thursday six May, and the Epping 7-11 again at the same site, 705 High St on the corner of Cowper Street between 11:10am and 11:40am on Saturday, 8 May.”\n
Read more »
Full list of Melbourne exposure sites after COVID-19 caseA new list of locations has been released after health officials revealed a Victorian man tested has positive to COVID19. Anybody who has visited one of the places should isolate and get tested. 9News
Read more »