Moors Murder police widen search for Keith Bennett's remains as dig enters sixth day
The reign of terror came to an end in 1965 when Brady invited Hindley's brother-in-law and friend, David Smith, round to their home.
Over the course of the next few weeks, officers unearthed more evidence linking the couple to unsolved disappearances. In his statement to cops, he described the teenager’s killing. He said: “Ian was standing over him, facing him, with his legs on either side of the young lad’s legs. The lad was still screaming. Ian had a hatchet in his hand. He was holding it above his head and he hit the lad on the left side of his head.Sick Brady never revealed where he buried the bodyPolice was the first officer to call at Brady’s home.
A huge search operation involving 150 officers was launched and on October 16 they found an arm bone. It belonged to Lesley Ann.In May 1966, Brady and Hindley were convicted of killing Edward Evans and Lesley Ann. Brady was also convicted of killing John Kilbride, while Hindley was convicted as an accessory after the fact.Brady got concurrent life terms on each count, while Hindley received two life terms plus seven years in the Kilbride case.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
No human remains found after police search for Moors Murder victim Keith BennettForensics and archaeologists have been searching since last week for the body of the Moors Murder victim who was killed more than 50 years ago.
Read more »
Moors Murders: No bones found in search for Keith BennettA new search for Keith Bennett has found 'no evidence to suggest the presence of remains', police say.
Read more »
Woman charged with murder after newborn baby found dead in gardenDetectives said a man who was arrested after the baby’s discovery on December 12, 2020, has been released without charge.
Read more »
Nurse accused of murdering seven babies to go on trial todayA nurse is set to go on trial today accused of murdering seven babies in Chester.
Read more »
Nurse Lucy Letby to go on trial charged with murder of seven babiesThe 32-year-old will go on trial at Manchester Crown Court
Read more »
Trial set for double murder bid which left dog deadTwo men are accused of attempting to murder a man and a dog walker, whose pet was also killed.
Read more »