Sky News Political Editor aclennell says there are more signs income tax cuts will be brought forward and business tax breaks will be in the federal budget following Prime Minister ScottMorrisonMP's comments on Monday.
Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says there are more signs income tax cuts will be brought forward and business tax breaks will be in the federal budget following Prime Minister Scott Morrison's comments on Monday.
Mr Clennell said the prime minister appeared to "snuff out" the suggestion of an increase in the Medicare levy to fund aged care or any form of higher taxes. "The one way you build your economy back is you don't hit it with higher taxes, and that's not our plan, it's never been our plan," Mr Morrison told reporters in Canberra on Monday. "Our plan to grow our economy has always been about getting off people's backs, not getting on them.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
PM Morrison labels Vic lockdown extension as 'crushing' | Sky News AustraliaA “road to nowhere” is how Victoria’s path out of lockdown is being described as it sparks fury from businesses.\n\nPrime Minister Scott Morrison labelled the restrictions as “crushing” and urged the state to strengthen its health response to the virus.\n
Read more »
Fake news in the US as democrats try to 'soften up the military' | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Paul Murray says the biggest example of fake news played out in the United States in the last week and leveled unfounded and wrong attacks at President Donald Trump.\n\nFar left-wing publication, The Atlantic, released an article written by four nameless people who suggested Donald Trump didn’t want to go to a war cemetery in France because those who died in war are “losers” and “suckers”.\n\nThe unsourced story, with no names and big claims, became mainstream after it was talked about by presidential hopeful Joe Biden, Mr Murray said. \n\nPresident Trump said what was written in the second-rate magazine was a ‘disgrace’.\n\nFormer national security advisor to Donald Trump John Bolton, who was with the president when he reportedly insulted war heroes, said he had “not heard either of those comments or anything even resembling them.”\n\nMr Murray said Mr Bolton disliked the president who fired him, and had written a book full of attacks at Trump, and yet he reported the news story released by Alliance included statements he had never heard Trump make. \n\nMr Murray said this piece of fake news was an attempt to “change the subject and soften up the military should they be needed at some point in time during a contested election.”\n\n “I know that sounds crazy but we live in crazy times,” he said. \n
Read more »
Anti-mask activists protest coronavirus safety measures in Rome | Sky News AustraliaHundreds of anti-vaccine activists and conspiracy theorists have gathered in Rome to protest against coronavirus safety measures. \n\nThose involved in the rally spoke against the Italian government's enforcement of face masks, arguing it impeded on personal freedoms. \n\nItaly is one of Europe's worst-hit countries with more than 35,000 fatalities and 1,695 new infections reported on Saturday alone. \n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Violence at Portland protests is ‘isolated while most of Portland is peaceful’ | Sky News AustraliaThe Portland Tribune’s Managing Editor Dana Haynes says any violence happening at protests in Portland is quite small and isolated despite the hype from the media.\n\n“The most important thing to note is that most of Portland is beautiful and peaceful, the violence has really been isolated to about three blocks at the downtown core,” Mr Haynes told Sky News host Brent O’Halloran.\n\n“Having said that we are at ninety four ninety-five straight days of the protests and the violence … the image of the city has been suffering because of it.\n\n“We’ve not explained to people that there are two things going on, there are very large righteously angry black lives matters protests, which are followed by much smaller and very violent incidents with arson and looting.\n\n“The two are not connected.\n\n“If we can get people to stop tweeting and stop commenting on what’s going on here in Portland … we really would appreciate that a great deal.”\n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Lebanese public calling for international investigation into Beirut blasts | Sky News AustraliaRTL Middle East correspondent Kavita Sharma says the Lebanese public are calling for an international investigation into the deadly blasts at the port of Beirut because many fear the internal investigations will result in a cover-up.\n\n“The port is known for it’s corruption, all political factions are said to have a foothold in the port,” Ms Sharma told Sky News host Brent O’Halloran.\n\n“Very few Lebanese actually believe that this investigation (internal investigation) would yield any evidence that would implicate politicians or their associates.\n\n“There have been calls for an international independent investigation because many fear this may yet be another cover-up.”\n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Anti-lockdown protesters defy Premier and Police in Victoria | Sky News AustraliaProtesters have gathered in Melbourne's CBD to demonstrate the state's stage four lockdowns despite warnings of arrests and fines from authorities.\n\nTwo people were arrested this week for posts on social media allegedly 'inciting' state residents to disobey government restrictions to attend protests.\n\nPolice were out in force, arresting one man, as anti-lockdown protesters gathered out the front of Victoria's Parliament House and Shrine of Remembrance for so-called 'Freedom March'.\n\nPremier Daniel Andrews said there would be a 'significant' police presence in the city for 'selfish, dangerous and unlawful' individuals who remained resolute in their desire to attend protests.\n\nMr Andrews confirmed a further 71 coronavirus infections and 11 deaths overnight with more than 100 historical coronavirus deaths added to Victoria's death toll in the past week.\n\nThe State's Chief Health Officer said he could not rule out further COVID-19 fatalities were yet to be reported.\n\nThe Premier will release a highly anticipated roadmap to recovery tomorrow detailing the states return to eased restrictions.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »