Rescue workers say there is no hope of finding a survivor from Beirut's August blast after spending days digging through rubble.
Rescue workers say there is no longer any sign of life in a collapsed Beirut building, dashing hopes raised by sensor readings showing a pulse beneath the rubble from last month's blast.
On Wednesday night, a sniffer dog deployed by Chilean rescuers detected a scent beneath a collapsed building in the heavily damaged Gemmayzeh neighbourhood adjacent to the port.The search continues for Beirut blast survivors, but hopes of a miracle are beginning to fadeBut after three days' work removing piles of masonry, Chilean rescue specialist Francesco Lermanda late Saturday said there was no longer any sign of life under the rubble.
A general view shows rescuers search at the site of a collapsed building after getting signals there may be a survivor under the rubble in Beirut, Lebanon.Two female rescue workers on Saturday slipped through a final tunnel to check for any victim in the last air pocket where there could possibly be but found nobody there, he said.
In the afternoon, engineer Riyadh al-Assad had said the workers had cleared two layers of rubble and reached a stairway, where they found no-one.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Rescue workers have renewed hope for survivors one month after deadly Beirut blastRescue workers detect a signal they believe could be a sign of survivors under rubble, one month after the Beirut explosion.
Read more »
'Pulse' sparks hunt for survivor one month after Beirut blast
Read more »
Hopes for a survivor more than a month after deadly Beirut blastA pulsing signal has been detected from under the rubble of a Beirut building that collapsed during the horrific port explosion in the Lebanese capital last month, raising hopes there may be a survivor still buried there. 9News
Read more »
Weeks after the Beirut blast, Lebanese Civil War survivors in Australia remain retraumatisedThe initial shock of the Beirut port explosion may be subsiding, but many Lebanese Australians who fled the country during its civil war are still trying to cope with the old wounds it has reopened.
Read more »
The search continues for Beirut blast survivors, but hopes of a miracle are beginning to fadeRescue teams kept up their search for survivors in Beirut Saturday even as hopes raised by sensor readings of a pulse beneath the rubble of last month's blast began to fade.
Read more »
Lebanese public calling for international investigation into Beirut blasts | Sky News AustraliaRTL Middle East correspondent Kavita Sharma says the Lebanese public are calling for an international investigation into the deadly blasts at the port of Beirut because many fear the internal investigations will result in a cover-up.\n\n“The port is known for it’s corruption, all political factions are said to have a foothold in the port,” Ms Sharma told Sky News host Brent O’Halloran.\n\n“Very few Lebanese actually believe that this investigation (internal investigation) would yield any evidence that would implicate politicians or their associates.\n\n“There have been calls for an international independent investigation because many fear this may yet be another cover-up.”\n\nImage: AP
Read more »