A week since they were rolled out, the world-first mobile phone detection cameras have scanned over 773,000 vehicles across six locations and captured over 3,300 drivers with their hands on their phones.
The world-first mobile phone detection cameras in NSW have in their first week of operation nabbed more than 3,300 drivers breaking the law.A three-month grace period meant offenders were sent a warning letter in lieu of a fine, with figures released on Tuesday showing about 500 people were caught on average each day in just one week.
Mr Constance said countries such as Norway, as well as other states and territories in Australia, were watching the rollout of the cameras closely. From March, however, drivers caught using their phone while driving will received a fine of at least a $344 and cop a penalty of up to five demerit points.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
NSW bushfire crisis: 20 properties destroyed in fire started by backburning, RFS confirmsFirefighting crews in the Blue Mountains area had been attempting to protect communities around the Bells Line of Road NSWFires bushfires
Read more »
Up to 20 homes lost in out-of-control NSW fires | Sky News AustraliaNSW RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says up to 20 homes have been lost in out-of-control fires burning north of Sydney overnight. \n\nMr Fitzsimmons told Sky News crews worked over the weekend to secure protection for surrounding communities, however Sunday’s conditions “saw a dramatic escalation of fire activity” with potentially 'dozens of buildings damaged or destroyed”.\n\nThe NSW RFS Commissioner said more than one hundred fires were burning in the state and “more than half of those are not contained”. \n\nMs Fitzsimmons said teams would undertake a detailed analysis of the damage when the area was declared safe. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Family home ‘burnt down to a crumble’ in NSW fire | Sky News AustraliaHomeowner Sam Ramaci says he was reduced to tears when he saw the damage caused to his property by a fire that tore through Berambing in New South Wales. \n\nMr Ramaci told Sky News his cool room - where he stored the apple pies he sells for a living - was “burnt down to a crumble” following the fire on Sunday. \n\n“This fire came out of nowhere,” he told Sky News on Monday.\n\n“I would have thought with all the technology we’ve got we would have had a bit more warning. \n\n“Next minute, it was on our doorstop and that was it, we just had to do whatever we could do.”\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
Dozens of NSW homes feared lost in bushfires overnight | Sky News AustraliaAuthorities fear dozens of homes have been lost in fire burning at Mount Gospers in New South Wales after it broke its containment lines overnight.\n\nDamage assessment teams will be sent to the Mount Tomah area in the Blue Mountains on Monday once the area is declared safe. \n\nMeanwhile, Sydney residents again woke to a smoke haze blanketing the city on Monday - prompting authorities to issue another air quality warning. \n\nAir quality in parts of Sydney reached double the hazardous level on Monday, with Oakdale in Sydney's southwest one of the worst affected areas. \n \nTotal fire bans remain in place for five regions in NSW this week, with a very high fire danger issued for the majority of the state.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia
Read more »
NSW braces for severe heatwave conditions'People should be under no illusions - we're not going to get this fire put out - and we're going to have to get through this next week of really hot weather with these fires being very active.'
Read more »
Bushfires continue to ravage parts of NSW and WA | Sky News AustraliaThere are fears homes have been lost as the fire burning at Mount Gospers in New South Wales broke its containment lines overnight.\n\nDamage assessment teams will head to the Mount Tomah area - in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney on Monday - to assess the damage. \n\nAn emergency warning was issued on Sunday when the fire crossed Bells Line of Road at Mount Tomah. \n\nResidents overnight were warned it's too late to leave, and one firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation. \n\nMeanwhile, an emergency bushfire raging north of Perth has destroyed one home, as well as a service station.\n\nUp to 400 firefighters spent Sunday battling the blaze in an effort to protect lives and homes in the City of Wanneroo and the Shire of Gingin.\n\nAuthorities warned residents to enact their bushfire survival plan immediately.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »