NSW Police ordered to pay $100,000 in costs to NRL star Curtis Scott after 'terrifying' arrest

Australia News News

NSW Police ordered to pay $100,000 in costs to NRL star Curtis Scott after 'terrifying' arrest
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 abcnews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 16 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 10%
  • Publisher: 83%

A magistrate describes the arrest of Canberra Raiders star Curtis Scott as 'like watching gratuitous violence off the dark web' as she orders NSW Police to pay a $100,000 legal bill over the January incident.

A Sydney magistrate has hit NSW Police with a $100,000 legal bill over the "terrifying" arrest of NRL player Curtis Scott in January.The NRL has recently recommended a $15,000 fine for ScottScott, who plays for Canberra Raiders, was charged with multiple offences including assaulting police and resisting arrest after he was found sleeping at Moore Park early on January 27.

Scott, who had been drinking on Australia Day prior to his arrest, appeared disoriented and was handcuffed, pepper sprayed and shot with a taser during the arrest. Magistrate Jennifer Giles today said the actions of Senior Constable Christopher Bucknell, who used the taser, were "terrifying".

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

abcnews /  🏆 5. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Police minister casts doubt over consideration of police forces in hotel quarantine | Sky News AustraliaPolice minister casts doubt over consideration of police forces in hotel quarantine | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Police Minister Lisa Neville has suggested there was never any real consideration given to using police forces to guard Melbourne’s hotel quarantine program. \n\n“If there had been any serious consideration of Victoria police playing a significant role in hotel quarantine program, it is my view I would have been consulted,” Ms Neville told the inquiry into the botched quarantine program. \n\nThe minister said she first became aware of the decision to use private security guards, rather than police officers of ADF personnel, during a phone meeting with Emergency Commissioner Andrew Crisp and then Police Commissioner Graham Ashton. \n\nShe said Mr Crisp entered the meeting with knowledge private security would be used, however, could not tell whether it was he who had made the decision. \n\nWhen asked by council assisting about her expectations for consulting on the matter, Ms Neville said it was her expectation that Mr Ashton should have been consulted in the decision making process. \n\nVictorian Jobs Minister Martin Pakula provided evidence on Wednesday morning, saying the decision to use private security was ultimately the responsibility of the Department of Health and Human Services. \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n
Read more »

Qld borders: Queensland may wait 5 weeks to open border to NSWQld borders: Queensland may wait 5 weeks to open border to NSWFollowing the announcement that more NSW postcodes will be allowed into Queensland from October 1, Deputy Premier Steven Miles says the rest of the state could be forced to wait more than a month for entry.
Read more »

NSW dentist banned over excessive Oxycodone prescriptionA NSW dentist who prescribed excessive doses of an addictive painkiller to 10 patients without monitoring their treatment or keeping accurate clinical records has been banned. 9News
Read more »

International students could be in NSW by early 2021, senior minister saysInternational students could be in NSW by early 2021, senior minister saysNSW minister Stuart Ayres said the state's record of quarantining 60,000 returning travellers through Sydney had built a 'strong bed of evidence that we can learn from' in managing overseas student arrivals | natassiazc AnnaPattySMH
Read more »

South Australia shows the way in reopening borders for NSWSouth Australia shows the way in reopening borders for NSWEditorial: South Australia’s decision to re-open its borders to NSW from Thursday is a victory for clear, evidence-based policy in the sometimes emotional debate about the role state borders should play in controlling COVID-19
Read more »

'I can't wait to get out': Morris rules out NSW return after season-long bubble'I can't wait to get out': Morris rules out NSW return after season-long bubbleVeteran Roosters centre Josh Morris won't be coaxed out of representative retirement again to play State of Origin, issuing a warning about the mental health of the game's young stars after months-long biosecurity restrictions | app85
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 23:21:05