Owners blocked from moving into landmark Sydney apartment building | Mattonews
Owners of a landmark apartment block in Sydney’s eastern suburbs face a long wait before they can move in after the NSW building watchdog ordered an immediate halt to their $50 million redevelopment which was almost complete.
Long regarded as an eyesore, the 1960s brutalist-style building has undergone a major makeover in recent years, which was prompted by Waverley Council issuing fire safety orders more than a decade ago due partly to concrete cancer.Inspectors recently discovered fire sprinklers had been installed only in a new two-level basement car park, and not the building’s seven above-ground levels. The building comprises 80 apartments and two multimillion-dollar penthouses on the top floor.
Fair Trading construction compliance director Matthew Whitton, who issued the notices, said the order would result in “considerable additional building work that is likely to be costly”.Edwina Pickles The redevelopment included excavation and construction of the two-level basement car park, balcony extensions and an extra storey for the penthouse apartments.told a conference
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Newcastle wants Sydney to notice it, but not like thisBeing anointed the unrivalled incubator for a COVID variant is not the kind of attention the city craves.
Read more »
Growing Omicron variant cluster linked to Taylor Swift dance party in SydneyAt least 97 confirmed COVID-19 cases have been linked to the "On Repeat: Taylor Swift Red Party" at Metro Theatre on December 10.
Read more »
Alert issued over Taylor Swift Sydney dance party after 97 test positive for COVID-19NSW Health has issued an alert about a Taylor Swift-themed party at Sydney's Metro Theatre, with at least 97 people catching COVID-19 at the event.
Read more »
Nicole Kidman brings Hollywood glamour to Sydney film premiere
Read more »
Nicole Kidman stuns on Sydney red carpet for new movieAussie golden couple Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have graced the red carpet in Sydney for the premiere of her new film Being the Ricardos.
Read more »