Palace letters from John Kerr show Prince Charles was in the loop

Australia News News

Palace letters from John Kerr show Prince Charles was in the loop
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 newscomauHQ
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 47 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 22%
  • Publisher: 77%

Secret palace letters finally released after 45 years show Prince Charles was in the loop about the crisis engulfing the Whitlam government.

But the letters confirm that the heir-to-the-throne, the then 26-year-old Prince Charles was in the loop over the constitutional crisis and talking to the Governor-General Sir John Kerr over his fears that he would be sacked by Gough Whitlam, as previously suggested in historian Professor Jenny Hocking’s book.

In 1000 pages of documents, the key letter from Governor-General Sir John Kerr to Buckingham Palace on November 11, 1975 confirms the Queen was not consulted on the decision.The letter shows the Queen did not know about the decision to dismiss the Whitlam government.“I decided to take the step I took without informing the Palace in advance ... it was better for Her Majesty NOT to know,” Sir John Kerr’s letter states.

“If in the period of 24 hours in which he was considering his position he advised the Queen that I should be immediately dismissed, the position would then have been that either I would be, in fact, trying to dismiss him while he was trying to dismiss me - an impossible position for the Queen,’’ Sir John Kerr wrote.The trove of documents also reveals that on October 2, Sir John Kerr discussed his concerns that the Prime Minister Gough Whitlam would ask the Queen to sack him as Governor-General.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

newscomauHQ /  🏆 9. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Palace letters reveal Sir John Kerr dismissed Gough Whitlam without informing the QueenPalace letters reveal Sir John Kerr dismissed Gough Whitlam without informing the QueenIt's been revealed Sir John Kerr did not tell the Queen of his intention to dismiss then-prime minister Gough Whitlam before the historic decision on 11 November, 1975.
Read more »

'Palace letters' reveal Sir John Kerr sacked Gough Whitlam before telling the Queen'Palace letters' reveal Sir John Kerr sacked Gough Whitlam before telling the QueenA first look at the newly released 'Palace letters' reveals then governor-general Sir John Kerr dismissed the Whitlam government before telling the Queen, because 'it was better for Her Majesty not to know'.
Read more »

Governor-General's intentions to dismiss Whitlam 'likely known to the palace' | Sky News AustraliaGovernor-General's intentions to dismiss Whitlam 'likely known to the palace' | Sky News AustraliaPolitical Consultant Jim Middleton says it is likely the Palace was aware Sir John Kerr wanted to dismiss Gough Whitlam.\n\nPrivate letters between Queen Elizabeth II and former Governor-General Sir John Kerr were released on Tuesday revealing Sir John dismissed then-prime minister Gough Whitlam without first informing the Queen. \n\nThe National Archives released more than 1,000 pages of documents from Mr Whitlam’s 1975 dismissal, including much sought-after correspondence between the Governor-General and Buckingham Palace. \n\n“I decided to take the step I took without informing the Palace in advance … it was better for Her Majesty NOT to know,' one of the letters penned by Sir John Kerr reads.\n\nMr Middleton said it was ‘unsurprising’ Sir John Kerr withheld his decision to act from the palace because the palace seemed to know such a dismissal was possible.\n\n“What we see in the palace papers so far … is that they were well aware it was on his mind and indeed there was communication between the palace and Sir John Kerr about this very matter,” he said.\n\n“The palace also knew that Sir John Kerr feared that Gogh Whitlam would sack him.”\n\nMr Middleton said the dismissal demonstrates an imbalance in the relationship between the governor-general, the Queen and the elected prime minister of Australia, and wonders whether the place should have given warning to Mr Whitlam. \n\n“On this occasion, the Queen chose to do and observe what her appointed representative wanted rather than what Australia’s elected Prime Minister desired,” he said. \n\n“Constitutionally, should the palace have informed Gogh Whitlam that their appointed representative the governor-general was worried about being sacked by the prime minister? \n\n“Should they have been informing him that dismissal was an option in some form or another?” \n
Read more »

The Palace letters are every bit the bombshell they promised to beThe Palace letters are every bit the bombshell they promised to beThe Palace letters have proved to be every bit the bombshell they promised, and neither the Queen nor Sir John Kerr emerge unscathed, writes Jenny Hocking. | OPINION
Read more »

The Palace letters are every bit the bombshell they promised to beThe Palace letters are every bit the bombshell they promised to beThe Palace letters have just blown apart the claim that the Queen played no part in Sir John Kerr's decisions | Jenny Hocking palaceletters
Read more »

'Palace letters' to show what Queen knew about Whitlam dismissalThe &x27;Palace letters&x27; - correspondence between the Queen and Australian governor-general Sir John Kerr in the lead-up to the Whitlam government&x27;s dismissal - will be released to the public later today.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 23:08:20