NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has vowed to fix Macquarie Street’s toxic workplace culture following a damning review into bullying, harassment and assault.
Dominic Perrottet told politicians responsible for toxic behaviour to leave parliament after a damning review found that one in five people working in NSW politics had been sexually harassed.
“Very serious allegations of sexual assault in the NSW parliament have occurred. Sexual assault in the NSW parliament, in a parliament which creates the laws of the land to protect our people,” Mr Perrottet said on Friday. Under fire over the discrepancy, Mr Perrottet said he had taken strong action in removing her from the ministry and had high standards for all his ministers. He also lashed out at the opposition for what he said were “smears” on Ms Petinos’ reputation.
Members of parliament were responsible for 41 per cent of incidents, while female MPs were most likely to report being sexually harassed. This was echoed by Mr Perrottet, who said: “If you are involved in this behaviour, you should leave immediately.”Mr Perrottet said a fundamental problem fostering a culture of bullying, harassment and assault in parliament was that the lack of a proper complaints process didn’t give victims any confidence they could come forward.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Premier says NSW parliament’s culture has become ‘toxic and wrong’Five people said they experienced attempted or actual sexual assault while working in a parliamentary workplace, while MPs perpetrated almost half of sexual harassment incidents.
Read more »
Time to shine a light on Macquarie Street’s dark recessesThe toxic workplace culture in the NSW Parliament House must change to reflect community standards.
Read more »
Sexual harassment, widespread bullying exposed in NSW parliamentMPs have been identified as key perpetrators of some of the worst behaviour at NSW parliament.
Read more »
Live: NSW Now: John Barilaro to face inquiry into plum New York againMORNING BRIEFING: Former NSW deputy premier is again to front a parliamentary inquiry today into his appointment to a lucrative US-based trade job.
Read more »
First Morrison's Liberals, now the states: Will the teal wave sweep Victoria and NSW governments next?In coming months the Liberal Party faces fresh assaults in state electorates, from a similar 'community candidate' movement, writes Michelle Grattan.
Read more »
Barilaro, Petinos and ‘unusual’ calls to the NSW building commissionerWhen a building company was hit with a draft stop-work order in April, the offices of two prominent figures were on the phone to David Chandler.
Read more »