Petrol bombs thrown in Hong Kong metro, protesters defy face mask ban

Australia News News

Petrol bombs thrown in Hong Kong metro, protesters defy face mask ban
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 39 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 97%

The Hong Kong government said a metro station was damaged after petrol bombs were thrown inside, as pro-democracy activists protested what they believe is Beijing's tightening grip on the city

HONG KONG - Petrol bombs were thrown inside a Hong Kong metro station on Saturday but no one was injured, the government said, as pro-democracy protesters again took to the streets angry at what they believe is Beijing’s tightening grip on the city.

The Hong Kong government introduced colonial-era emergency laws last week to ban the wearing of face masks at public rallies, a move that sparked some of the worst violence since the unrest started in June. The protests have plunged the city into its worst crisis since Britain handed it back to China in 1997 and is the biggest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam canceled a meeting with U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, the highest profile U.S. politician to visit the city since the unrest started, Cruz said on Saturday. A small group calling itself the “Silver-Haired Marchers” began a 48-hour sit-in at police headquarters on Saturday, describing themselves as “old but not obsolete”.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Petrol bombs thrown in Hong Kong metro, no one injured - governmentPetrol bombs thrown in Hong Kong metro, no one injured - governmentPetrol bombs were thrown inside a Hong Kong metro station on Saturday but no one...
Read more »

Thousands march again, gas bombs thrown in Hong KongThousands march again, gas bombs thrown in Hong KongProtesters marching peacefully hit the rain-slickened streets of Hong Kong again in multiple locations, defying police warnings that they were gathering illegally. Police said rioters tossing gasoline bombs also damaged a subway station.
Read more »

China denounces Thai politicians for show of support to Hong Kong activistsChina denounces Thai politicians for show of support to Hong Kong activistsThe Chinese embassy in Bangkok has condemned Thai politicians for showing suppor...
Read more »

U.S. company supplying tear gas to Hong Kong police faces mounting criticismU.S. company supplying tear gas to Hong Kong police faces mounting criticismAnother U.S. senator has joined a chorus against Pennsylvania-based NonLethal Te...
Read more »

Apple CEO Tim Cook Defends Decision to Withdraw Hong Kong Protest AppApple CEO Tim Cook Defends Decision to Withdraw Hong Kong Protest AppApple CEO Tim Cook has defended the company’s decision to remove the controversial HKmap.live app from its virtual store. But his explanations have drawn fire from politicians in the U.S. – a…
Read more »

Apple CEO Tim Cook defends decision to remove an app used by Hong Kong protestersApple CEO Tim Cook defends decision to remove an app used by Hong Kong protestersApple CEO Tim Cook defends his company's decision to remove an app used by Hong Kong protesters
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 23:12:56