Katarina Carroll has confessed she initially rejected an invitation to give evidence at a commission of inquiry into the QPS.
Carroll began her evidence on Thursday by admitting she initially rejected an invitation by the commission to give evidence at the inquiry on August 5.
She was then informed days later by the commission she was “required” to give evidence, and was asked whether she needed a “summons issued”.Carroll on Thursday was grilled by O’Gorman over whether she had asked for further resources for the domestic violence unit that was set up after the death of Doreen Langham in February 2021.Carroll said the QPS had requested further resources from Queensland Treasury.
When O’Gorman suggested some police districts were “crying out for resources”, Carroll said she would “have to agree with that”. O’Gorman told the inquiry the QPS media and public relations team had 38 employees, 11 more people than what had been allocated to the strategy team working on the service’s response to domestic and family violence.
The inquiry also heard a report about motorcycle gangs had not made it to Codd’s domestic violence command.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
COVID-19 lockdown patrols 'triggered fear and trauma' among refugees and asylum seekers, inquiry hearsPolice and military on the streets at the height of COVID-19 lockdowns traumatised refugees and asylum seekers who had fled war-torn countries and didn't understand what was happening, an inquiry has been told.
Read more »
NSW flood inquiry report recommends rescue training for residents and land buy backs for LismoreNSW premier Dominic Perrottet accepts all 28 recommendations from the independent inquiry into the 2022 floods
Read more »
SES volunteers were ‘let down’ on many occasions during flood crisisFormer NSW police commissioner Mick Fuller says without volunteers across the state, many emergency services “wouldn’t exist”. Mr Fuller’s comments follow the release of a report into the management of the floods which hit the Northern Rivers and the Hawkesbury-Nepean region earlier this year. “Can I acknowledge particularly the challenges that the SES volunteers faced in the midst of these weather events, and I think they were themselves let down on many occasions,” Mr Fuller said during a media conference on Wednesday. “That is evidence that we have heard.”
Read more »
At a glance: key recommendations of the NSW flood inquiry reportIndependent inquiry into the 2022 floods finds existing agencies failed, and calls for conversion of flood plain land
Read more »
Governor-General breaks silence on former PM's secret ministerial self-appointmentsThe Governor-General is standing firm on his actions around Scott Morrison's appointment to five additional portfolios, declining to comment on whether or not he expected it to be made public.
Read more »
Justice Department asks not to disclose affidavit behind Mar-a-Lago searchUnsealing the document could reveal the scope of the inquiry against Donald Trump, whose team is rattled by recent events
Read more »