In his first limited audience with the public in six months, the pope said Lebanon could not be 'abandoned to its solitude'.
Pope Francis warned Wednesday that Lebanon faced"extreme danger that threatens the very existence of the country" following last month's massive explosion.
"Lebanon cannot be abandoned to its solitude," the pope said at his first limited audience with the public in six months because of the coronavirus crisis."A month after the tragedy... my thoughts are still with dear Lebanon and its particularly hard-pressed population," Francis said, holding a Lebanese flag brought to the audience by a young priest.
The pontiff held his first audience in a closed courtyard of the Vatican's Apostolic Palace, with a maximum of 500 faithful.Jorge Bergoglio - the birth name of Francis - last hosted an audience on 26 February, as the grip of COVID-19 closed around Italy.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Little-known diplomat becomes Lebanon's new prime ministerFormerly Lebanon's ambassador to Germany, Mustapha Adib faces the daunting task of steering the country through one of the deepest crises of its troubled 100-year history.
Read more »
Macron pledges another aid conference to support Lebanon | Sky News AustraliaFrench President Emmanuel Macron has pledged to hold another aid conference to support Lebanon after a follow-up visit to the site of Beirut's devastating explosion. \n\nMr Macron said any French bailout would be conditional on a new cabinet which implemented wide-spread reforms. \n\nProtesters gathered in the days following the deadly explosion to voice their anger over the mismanagement and state corruption which dragged Lebanon into crisis. \n\nThe French President said the next six weeks would be vital for the country. \n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Lebanon's expected new leader Mustapha Adib calls for immediate reformsLebanon's prime minister-designate has called for a new government to be formed 'in record time' hours before the French President is due to visit the crisis-hit country.
Read more »
Victorians experiencing ‘massive crushing’ of civil liberties | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Liberal MP David Davis says the Victorian government’s extreme “grab for power” seeks to widen the scope of an already very powerful chief health officer.\n\nVictorian Premier Daniel Andrews last week announced his government’s plan to seek a 12 month extension of the state of emergency powers, which are the legal mechanism allowing the state’s lockdowns.\n\n“We think this is bizarre and wrong, we think this is extreme, we think this is a grab for power,” Mr Davis told Sky News host Peta Credlin.\n\n“We think also that some of the other clauses in the act … seek to widen the power of an already very powerful chief health officer.\n\nHe said the government already wields very “intrusive powers” which have clearly resulted in a “massive crushing of civil liberties”.\n\n“We’re in this terrible zone where Andrews is taking all this power. It’s a massive increase in power for the chief health officer, and a massive increase of power for him.”\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
‘Disgraceful’ plan for Aussie landmark locationOne of Sydney’s most iconic landmarks is in danger of being destroyed by a “disgraceful” redevelopment in what could be yet another mammoth architectural error for the city.
Read more »
Xerri's B-sample returns positive testAfter months of uncertainty the Bronson Xerri story has finally moved forward. NRL 9WWOS
Read more »