SA's Water Minister hits back at the NSW Government over its irrational Murray-Darling demands, describing a suggestion to allow seawater back into SA's lower lakes as nonsense.
and we support all efforts to improve compliance and delivery of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan."
Mr Littleproud yesterday responded to the NSW Government's demands by saying the Federal Government did not have the power to make those changes and that all basin states needed to agree on the plan. "While everybody points their guns at us, they've got to understand that my job in many respects is to herd the cats and the real power comes in us having cooperation," he said.Lesley Fischer is a retired farmer from the lower lakes region in South Australia and said removing the barrages would further impact a region that had already suffered.The Murray-Darling Basin Plan has remained controversial ever since its introduction in 2012.
Ms Fischer said if something was not done to help lower lakes locals, more people would be forced to leave the region. "The fisherman are going to be going, in the Millennium Drought the dairies left — we've got three left here just around the lakes," she said."We've lost a lot, we're really fighting back and we deserve a go like every other town or community along the system."
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New bill introduced to lift genetically modified farming ban in SA | Sky News AustraliaThe South Australian government has introduced a bill to lift a ban on genetically modified farming across the state’s mainland.\n\nThe government announced in August its plan to lift a moratorium on genetically modified farming before the end of the year.\n\nLast week, the state’s primary industries minister Tim Whetstone tried to do this by issuing a ministerial regulation instead of changing legislation.\n\nLabor, the Greens and the SA Best Party blocked that move and accused the government of using a loophole and ignoring due parliamentary process.\n\nOn Tuesday the government tried again by introducing the bill to parliament.\n\nIt’s hoped lifting the ban across the mainland – but not Kangaroo Island – will make the state’s farms more competitive.
Read more »
NSW gives details of ultimatum over water sharing planNSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro and Water Minister Melinda Pavey have issued their demands for the Murray-Darling Basin Water Plan but remain committed to walking away if those demands are not met.
Read more »
Farmers take Murray-Darling Basin Plan protest to parliament | Sky News AustraliaFrustrated farmers have taken their protest to scrap the Murray-Darling Basin Plan to the National Farmers' Federation headquarters in Canberra.\n\nNationals leader Michael McCormack copped a spray from one farmer who said if Mr McCormack did not “grow some spine” his party would be punished by voters at the next election.\n\nA local protester told him 'we understand the basin plan better than the NFF and politicians. We need to work collaboratively to fix this mess'.\n\n'The Nationals are dead in the water,' she said.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n\n
Read more »
'It will give the river more respect': Elders call for dual naming of Darling River as BaakaThe NSW Government considers whether to formally adopt a traditional name for Australia's third-longest river.
Read more »
'The people are incredibly worried' over the Murray Darling Plan | Sky News Australia‘Can the Plan’ Co-Organiser Jan Beer says the turnout of farmers demanding the government address the controversial Murray Darling Plan, just shows 'people are incredibly worried about their future'. \n\nOn Monday, thousands of farmers from across the country descended on Canberra — demanding the government scrap or amend the plan.\n\n'It has taken us so many years to make the media take notice,' Mr Beer told Sky News host Paul Murray. \n\n'We also needed to put pressure on the federal politicians to acknowledge that there are so many faults in the Basin plan,' Ms Beer said. \n\nMs Beer described the response by the farmers as being 'incredible'. \n\n'I would say there would be four to five thousand people there and we had in excess of a hundred trucks'. \n\nMs Beer said the meeting with Water Resources David Littleproud and Environment Minister Sussan Ley left her 'with steam coming out of my ears'. \n\n'They continuously passed the buck'. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia\n
Read more »
'We just don't have anymore to give': NSW, South Australia at war over waterThe NSW Deputy Premier tells the Federal Government drought conditions have put unfair pressure on the state and that South Australia has been benefitting from the Murray Darling Basin Plan to the detriment of NSW.
Read more »