Salman Rushdie, Charlie Hebdo, violence and cancel culture

Australia News News

Salman Rushdie, Charlie Hebdo, violence and cancel culture
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 theage
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 49 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 77%

If Salman Rushdie, now bearing 10 stab wounds, loses one eye, he will still see further than most | Opinion | Richard Flanagan

When, in February 1989, I heard from a friend of the fatwa put on Salman Rushdie, it made no sense. When I heard the news on Saturday that the now elderly writer had been horrifically attacked,The idea of writing as freedom, of freedom of expression being the bedrock of all democratic freedoms has, over the decades since, been slowly corroded.

And yet now I can see he spoke from a bedrock of experience of being the hunted. Everything went back to the fundamental question that terrible experience raises: were you free to say what you thought or were you, under the threat of death and violence, unfree? As Rushdie’s beliefs seemed to clarify and simplify into something inexorable and undeniable, the stakes continued rising. A violence of language became the form of everyday publication on social media. Writers were now routinely told to stay in their lane, to not write about this, to not comment on that. If, unlike his friend Christopher Hitchens, his politics did not swerve to the right, he remained willing to call out attacks on free speech no matter from what side they came.

Yet Rushdie also recognised that while cancel culture was “a slippery slope”, in many countries writers and journalists died for what they wrote, and such violent suppression was a far more concerning issue.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

theage /  🏆 8. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Salman Rushdie, Charlie Hebdo, violence and cancel cultureSalman Rushdie, Charlie Hebdo, violence and cancel cultureThe author’s life kept on intersecting with dramatic events that became so commonplace it is difficult to imagine how someone might stay sane and work, defining himself as a writer and not a victim.
Read more »

Salman Rushdie's 'defiant sense of humour' intact, son saysSalman Rushdie's 'defiant sense of humour' intact, son saysZafar Rushdie thanks audience members who leapt to the writer's defence and the 'outpouring of love' from around the world after the attack, as Salman Rushdie begins his recovery.
Read more »

Stabbing attack on Salman Rushdie was 'preplanned', says prosecutorStabbing attack on Salman Rushdie was 'preplanned', says prosecutorSalman Rushdie has been taken off a ventilator and can now talk following his on-stage stabbing in New York. His alleged attacker is pleading not guilty and is now being investigated for links to the Iranian Government. MORE: AmeliaAdams9 9News
Read more »

Salman Rushdie's 'feisty and defiant sense of humour remains intact', family saysSalman Rushdie's 'feisty and defiant sense of humour remains intact', family saysThe man suspected of repeatedly stabbing author Salman Rushdie, who will likely lose an eye, has entered a not guilty plea in a New York court.
Read more »

Authors on the Salman Rushdie attack: ‘A society cannot survive without free speech’Authors on the Salman Rushdie attack: ‘A society cannot survive without free speech’Writers including Margaret Atwood, Ben Okri and Ian McEwan have spoken out after the attack in New York
Read more »

Lebanese town stays silent on Salman Rushdie’s alleged attackerLebanese town stays silent on Salman Rushdie’s alleged attackerIn Yaroun, where Hadi Matar is thought to have spent several summers, locals are keeping their heads down
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 11:11:40