A counter-terrorism investigation team has charged a second man over an alleged arson attack at the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne.
A counter-terrorism investigation team has charged a second man over an alleged arson attack at the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne. The building in Ripponlea was firebombed and gutted in the early hours of December 6, in an incident that rocked the Jewish community.
Detectives stormed a home in Meadow Heights last week and seized several items, including electronic devices, for forensic examination.Counter-terrorism police have charged a second man over an arson attack at the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne. Today, a 20-year-old man from Meadow Heights was charged with criminal damage by fire, conduct endangering life and theft of a motor vehicle.Australian Federal Police Counter Terrorism and Special Investigations Commander Nick Read said the team would not let crimes go unpunished. "We warned that further arrests would follow, and today we have taken yet another step towards justice," he said.The Adass Israel synagogue in Ripponlea in Melbourne's south-east was left gutted. The counter-terrorism team alleged the 20-year-old is one of three people who broke into the synagogue and deliberately set the fire.A 21-year-old man from Werribee was charged on July 30. A 20-year-old man from Melton South was charged with allegedly stealing a communal crime car, which was used to drive to the synagogue. Police believe the car, a blue Volkswagen Golf sedan, was also used in another arson attack at the LUX Nightclub on November 21.CCTV showed two people outside the synogogue with what appears to be an accelerant. Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Counter Terrorism Tess Walsh said investigations are continuing and remain a priority. "Victoria Police has seen first-hand the impact of a crime like this, how it has impacted both the Jewish community and the broader community," she said. "There is no place for this type of offending in our state, and we will be relentless in pursuing those who are prepared to engage in these acts of violence."
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Wallabies and British and Irish Lions make changes for second Test at Melbourne Cricket GroundMelbourne-born Rob Valetini and 32-Test player Will Skelton have been named in the Wallabies' starting side for the second Test against the British and Irish Lions at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Read more »
Wallabies vs British and Irish Lions second Test in Melbourne live updatesThe British and Irish Lions have scored a last-gasp try to claim a thrilling Test match 29-26 against the Wallabies at the MCG. Follow live.
Read more »
Man arrested over fire that destroyed Adass Israel Synagogue of Melbourne last yearA man has been arrested for his alleged role in the December 2024 arson of the Adass Israel Synagogue of Melbourne in the city's inner south-east.
Read more »
Police make second arrest in Adass Israel synagogue firebombingPolice will soon reveal details of the arrest of a second man in relation to the firebombing of the Ripponlea synagogue in late 2024.
Read more »
Second alleged Adass Israel Synagogue blaze firebomber arrestedThe Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) has arrested a 21-year-old man for his alleged role in the arson that severely damaged the Adass Israel Synagogue on December 6 last year.
Read more »
Second man charged over Adass Israel Synagogue arsonCounter-terrorism officers have charged a second man over the arson attack on the Adass Israel Synagogue in December 2024.
Read more »



