Breaking: Sydney Harbour Tunnel closed during Blockade Australia protest
Sydney’s Harbour Tunnel has been blocked by a member of a climate activist group on Monday while other CBD streets have been obstructed during a morning of protest.
“I’ve watched much devastation with two one-in-100-year floods. This is climate change. I cannot stay silent anymore. I cannot be complacent anymore. The colony of Australia, this destructive colony system landed here, hellbent on spreading exploitative practices all over the earth,” she told viewers.
“There’s a lot of people yelling, it’s quite overwhelming, but it’s been an overwhelming year. I was lucky in Lismore, but I’ve seen people that I love lose everything and places I love be destroyed.” The group has so far chosen not to comment to journalists on the ground, choosing instead to continue their march through the city.NSW Transport Minister David Elliott told 2GB the way Blockade Australia chooses to protest is “selfish” and ineffective because their cause remains unclear despite repeated demonstrations.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
The Sydney regions with the lowest and highest turnover of homesAbout one in every 17 homes sold across Greater Sydney during the past year, with home owners in some lifestyle locations particularly keen to cash in on strong price growth.
Read more »
Why Crown's Sydney casino will bank only a fraction of its Melbourne venueExperts say the gambling floors in Sydney’s tallest skyscraper will not deliver as much as once hoped for the state's economy, with its major high-roller market all but gone.
Read more »
Life-saving tests for newborns after Sydney study makes fatal condition treatableThe study is being touted as a major breakthrough that has taken the leading genetic cause of infant death into something that will be screened for and can be treated.
Read more »
The Sydney suburbs sitting on the most unused Dine and Discover vouchersAbout $300 million worth of Dine and Discover vouchers are yet to be spent ahead of June 30, the last chance to use them.
Read more »