The man who survived days trapped on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

Australia News News

The man who survived days trapped on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 9NewsAUS
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 52 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 24%
  • Publisher: 72%

Hours ticked by as Harrison Okene sat in the cold and pitch black. Then he heard a terrifying sound; the 'bite of big fish'. 9News

Driving rain and crushing waves swept over the Jascon-4 as the tugboat navigated through turbulent black waters around 30 kilometres off the coast of Nigeria.The 12-man crew didn't know it then but the small boat was sailing to its doom.Tugboat Jascon-4 capsized in heavy swells on May 26, 2013, off the coast of Nigeria. Harrison Okene was the sole survivor. He survived underwater for nearly three days.

Okene pulled up his boxers and started to tear through the ship, but escape was made difficult by the fact all but a couple of doors had been locked in a bid to deter potential attacks from pirates.There, a wall of water forced him into the room's adjoining toilet.An air pocket formed, giving the then 29-year-old precious oxygen to breathe.

He and a crew from DCN, a global diving company, had been sent by Chevron and West African Ventures to retrieve the bodies of the crew.Very gently, Okene reached out to van Heerden and tapped his gear, careful not to startle him."When he came I was just crying," Okene said."I was not afraid at that time. I had already decided if it's to be alive or dead, no problem.

"Contrary to popular belief, when people are trapped in confined spaces it is not the oxygen running out that will kill you, it is your own exhaled breath causing a build-up of CO"You can see him panting in the video and his slightly glazed eyes caused by this.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

9NewsAUS /  🏆 10. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Zelenskiy hits out at Russian ‘barbarism’ over attack on Odesa port hours after grain dealZelenskiy hits out at Russian ‘barbarism’ over attack on Odesa port hours after grain dealUkrainian president says attack shows Moscow can’t be trusted to implement deal to unblock exports agreed less than a day before
Read more »

Russia fires missiles at Odesa port hours after signing grain export dealRussia fires missiles at Odesa port hours after signing grain export dealAirstrikes raise doubts about viability of agreement as Russia also launches series of attacks across Ukraine
Read more »

Russia attacks Ukraine port just hours after signing dealUkraine's Foreign Ministry denounced Saturday's airstrikes as a “spit in the face” to Turkey and the United Nations, which brokered the agreements. 9News
Read more »

Home Office ‘mistakes and delays’ mean girl, 4, must stay trapped in UkraineHome Office ‘mistakes and delays’ mean girl, 4, must stay trapped in UkraineAlika has a UK sponsor, and applied for visa in March, but is one of few children left in her Kharkiv neighbourhood
Read more »

Home Office ‘mistakes and delays’ mean girl, 4, must stay trapped in UkraineHome Office ‘mistakes and delays’ mean girl, 4, must stay trapped in UkraineAlika has a UK sponsor, and applied for visa in March, but is one of few children left in her Kharkiv neighbourhood
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 07:28:21