TikTok is a pawn in the battle for tech supremacy between US and China

Australia News News

TikTok is a pawn in the battle for tech supremacy between US and China
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 smh
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 67 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 30%
  • Publisher: 80%

China has revealed what’s really at stake in the Trump administration’s escalating assault on its technology companies | Stephen Bartholomeusz

China has responded to the US attempt to ban, or force a sale, of ByteDance’s wildly popular app, TikTok. In doing so it has revealed what’s really at stake in the Trump administration’s escalating assault on its technology companies.

The depth and detail of its user information and the sophistication of its predictive algorithms are such that ByteDance sees itself as a legitimate potential rival to the giant US online advertising businesses like Facebook or Google. ByteDance has been negotiating with a consortium of Microsoft and Walmart, another involving private equity firm Centricus Asset Management and a music video and social media platform Triller and with Oracle for what could have been a $US20 billion-plus sale of its US and other international operations.

The list of technology exports China is now restricting or banning – using the same "national security" criteria as the US has used as the basis of its bans - includes agriculture, pharmaceutical IP and laser and other high-tech segments that could be categorised as "NextGen" technologies. Its ambition is to be the world leader in those categories and it is clearly making rapid progress. Last year, for the first time, China filed more patents internationally than the US.

The US is determined to protect its historic leadership in the technologies that will define economic – and military – supremacy in this century while China is trying to reduce its dependence on the West and become more technology self-sufficient to offset the US effort.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

smh /  🏆 6. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

China unleashes ‘carrier killer’ on USChina unleashes ‘carrier killer’ on USBeijing has upped the ante by firing “carrier killer” ballistic missiles into the South China Sea in what it calls a “warning to the United States”.
Read more »

TikTok taps into Australian workforce as it plans 'rapid pace' growth Down UnderTikTok taps into Australian workforce as it plans 'rapid pace' growth Down UnderThe Chinese social media giant is recruiting more than 20 positions as part of an Australian growth drive — despite all the controversies over its content and privacy.
Read more »

Tensions mount as India, China accuse each other of violations across disputed borderTensions mount as India, China accuse each other of violations across disputed borderIndia has accused China of seeking to cross their unofficial border in the Ladakh region late on Saturday, while China countered that Indian troops tried their own mission on Monday.
Read more »

“Prostitutes”: MP says Australian universities have sold out to China“Prostitutes”: MP says Australian universities have sold out to ChinaFederal MP Bob Katter has dubbed Australian universities “prostitutes” who’ve “sold their body and soul” to the Chinese Communist Party. The comments...
Read more »

China announces anti-subsidy investigation into Aus wine | Sky News AustraliaChina announces anti-subsidy investigation into Aus wine | Sky News AustraliaChina has announced an anti-subsidy investigation into Australian wine imports just two weeks after launching an anti-dumping investigation into wine products. \n\nThe Chinese Ministry of Commerce today revealed they would be launching an investigation after claiming the Australian government subsidised local producers, giving them an unfair advantage. \n\nThe Trade Minister said there was no justification for the investigation which could take years to complete and could create further uncertainty for the nation’s trade relationship with China. \n\nImage: AP
Read more »

China launches second trade probe into Australian wine importsChina launches second trade probe into Australian wine importsChina's Commerce Ministry confirms another investigation into Australian wine, announcing a one year anti-subsidy probe that will apply to wine in containers 2 litres or less.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 15:13:08