Time for common sense to ‘trump extreme ill-considered’ views of the minority | Sky News Australia

Australia News News

Time for common sense to ‘trump extreme ill-considered’ views of the minority | Sky News Australia
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 SkyNewsAust
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 23 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 13%
  • Publisher: 78%

Sky News host Chris Kenny says the “righteous efforts” to eliminate racial discrimination are being “hijacked by extremists” who are pushing for the elimination of police forces and attacking history and institutions.

Statues of slave traders in the UK have been torn down by demonstrators amid world wide protests in support of the Black Lives Matter movement triggered by the death of unarmed African-American man George Floyd. In the US, people have taken to defaming statues of confederate generals and those commemorating explorer Christopher Columbus.

Mr Kenny said Columbus brought the “old world in contact with the new” and tearing down a statues doesn’t detract from his achievements “it just feeds ignorance and tolerance”. Pulling down statues is “ugly and anti-intellectual” which embodies the “worst kind of revisionism,” according to Mr Kenny. “It is the year zero maliciousness of Pol Pot, the cultural fascism of the Taliban, being imposed on cities and campuses in liberal democracies.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SkyNewsAust /  🏆 7. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Prince Andrew faces ‘trial by media’ | Sky News AustraliaPrince Andrew faces ‘trial by media’ | Sky News AustraliaPrince Andrew is facing increasing scrutiny from the UK tabloids, who have seized on reports the royal is not assisting US police into their investigation into Jeffrey Epstein, according to Euronews journalist Trent Murray.\n\nUS federal investigators have been trying to speak to Prince Andrew for months about Epstein, who killed himself in his New York prison cell while awaiting trial for sex-trafficking charges.\n\nOn Monday, the Duke's legal team hit out after prosecutors made a formal request to interview him, with his lawyers claiming he has previously offered to assist them with the case on three occasions.\n\nHowever, Geoffrey S Berman, attorney for the southern district of New York, later dismissed this claim, saying the prince has 'repeatedly declined requests to schedule an interview'.\n\nMr Murray told Sky News the media is portraying this fight as a 'battle' between Prince Andrew and the US.\n\n'These are not headlines these press advisers in Buckingham Palace would be pleased to see,' he said.\n\n'Of course, there has been this war of words between Prince Andrew's legal team and prosecutors in the US for some time.'\n\n'It's all become very public now all over the front pages of the papers, it's going to be a trial by media from here.'\n\n
Read more »

Long Bay Jail prison riot caused by authorities 'cutting off drug supply chains' | Sky News AustraliaLong Bay Jail prison riot caused by authorities 'cutting off drug supply chains' | Sky News AustraliaTear gas was deployed by police to break up a riot in Long Bay Jail on Monday, which NSW Corrective Services commissioner Peter Severin has attributed to a marked reduction in drugs after social visits were cancelled due to COVID-19. \n\nOverhead footage showed inmates spelling out BLM, or Black Lives Matter, but authorities believe the riots were not driven by a sense of solidarity with the movement, but instead were drug-related. \n\nMr Severin said “we certainly had a situation where quite clearly drugs didn’t come in through visitors anymore”.\n\nHe said while authorities had successfully managed to keep “COVID-19 out of our prisons,” the new goal was to “keep drugs out of prisons” by means of eliminating the flow of drugs via visitors.\n\nHe said prisons were “looking at technology and looking at scanning devices that we might be able to deploy once social visits resume”. \n\n“If you have a drug free environment chances are that prisoners will be far more motivated to do something constructive about stopping re-offending rather than just simply dealing with their drug habits”. \n
Read more »

Protesters ‘who broke coronavirus rules should be thanked’: Bolt | Sky News AustraliaProtesters ‘who broke coronavirus rules should be thanked’: Bolt | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Andrew Bolt says Black Lives Matter protesters “thought they were raising a big political issue” but in fact the issue they raised was the hypocrisy around the nation’s coronavirus bans. \n\nOver the weekend thousands of people attended Black Lives Matter protests in Australian capital cities despite social distancing bans being largely still implemented and businesses heavily impacted by the government-imposed restrictions.\n\nMr Bolt said Australians have obeyed strict government imposed social distancing rules since the outbreak of the pandemic earlier in the year. \n\n“But suddenly it seems a lot of people have had enough … are demanding change”. \n\n“And for that I thank those protesters on Saturday who broke all the virus rules”. \n\nMr Bolt said if there is “as I suspect” no new infections from these protests over the next couple of weeks, “then why have any of these social distancing bans for a day longer'. \n
Read more »

Black Lives Matter protests 'unsustainable while public health orders remain' | Sky News AustraliaBlack Lives Matter protests 'unsustainable while public health orders remain' | Sky News AustraliaSky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says NSW Police has 'the view there wasn't much social distancing' being observed at the Sydney Black Lives Matter protest over the weekend. \n\nOn Tuesday NSW Police Minister David Elliott said the state would continue to ban protests while the coronavirus pandemic is still present, despite pressure being put on premiers to ease lockdown restrictions. \n\n'If there are no further protests maybe it doesn't become an issue because we will see restrictions come off,' Mr Clennell told Sky News host Peta Credlin. \n\n'But if there are further protests they're going to need to take some action in regards to what they see as what's happening is unsustainable while the public health orders occur'. \n\nHe said you will 'see a situation where they're declared unlawful' and legislation will be introduced into the state parliament to ensure that is the case so long as coronavirus public health orders remain in place. \n\nImage: AP \n\n
Read more »

Australia experiencing 'foreshadowing of China's coercive behaviour' | Sky News AustraliaAustralia experiencing 'foreshadowing of China's coercive behaviour' | Sky News AustraliaThe fact the Chinese Education Ministry urged its students to strongly reconsider travelling to Australia to attend university is a 'wonderful foreshadowing of their coercive behaviour' says Australian Strategic Policy Institute’s Michael Shoebridge.\n\nThe statement also said the spread of the “new global pneumonia” has not been “effectively controlled” causing further risks to international travel and open campuses.\n\nIt also said during the coronavirus pandemic “there were multiple discriminating incidents against Asians in Australia”.\n\n'It tells our universities and it tells our tourism sector the stupidest thing you could do is rebuild your institutions around the China market,' Mr Shoebridge told Sky News host Chris Kenny. \n\n'I think this new frankness that 'yes we will coerce you' is quite refreshing from Beijing'. \n\n'If anyone was in doubt of that they only need to listen to the Chinese government themselves'. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »

High indigenous incarceration rate not down to 'systemic racism' | Sky News AustraliaHigh indigenous incarceration rate not down to 'systemic racism' | Sky News AustraliaWhile activists will claim otherwise, the high rate of indigenous incarceration is not due to “systemic racism”, according to Alice Springs Councillor Jacinta Price.\n\nThousands of Australians flouted social distancing rules to protect against police brutality and Indigenous deaths in custody.\n\nSince a landmark royal commission in 1991, more than 400 Aboriginal people have died in prison.\n\nThe number of Aboriginal people in the prison system has skyrocketed from 19 per cent in 2000 to almost 30 per cent in March 2020.\n\nMs Price said it “not up to the government” to lower the rate of indigenous incarceration.\n\n“This comes down to individual responsibility,” she said.\n\n“As I continue to tell the world, almost 70 per cent of Aboriginal people incarcerated, both men and women, are incarcerated for acts of violence.\n\n'What I don’t see in this conversation … is the fact we need to reduce family and domestic violence as the number one cause of incarceration.\n\n'If we have safe homes, our children will be less likely to be on the path to incarceration.\n\n'I don’t understand why this doesn’t become common sense.”\n
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 21:08:49