'Travel with caution': China upgrades advice for Australia

Australia News News

'Travel with caution': China upgrades advice for Australia
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 smh
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 53 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 24%
  • Publisher: 80%

China has warned its citizens they could be arbitrarily searched and have their property seized in Australia, escalating its travel advice as tensions rise between the two countries | ErykBagshaw

China has warned its citizens they could be arbitrarily searched and have their property seized in Australia, escalating its travel advice as tensions rise between the two countries.

The warning, delivered by China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs over Chinese social media site WeChat on Monday night, is the third upgrade in as many months after Beijing warned students and tourists that they could face racial discrimination in Australia during the coronavirus pandemic.

Exiled Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo accused the Australian Tax Office of acting as a "despicable tool of political persecution" last year as he fought a $140 million tax bill. Huang had his Australian permanent residency visa cancelled for reasons including character grounds amid allegations he was acting as an agent for the Chinese Communist Party.

There have been reports of Chinese students being racially abused during the pandemic but the Morrison government maintains these are isolated incidents, not a systemic response to the coronavirus, which was first reported in China.China is Australia’s number one source of tourists and students, accounting for billions of dollars in spending across both sectors.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

smh /  🏆 6. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

China issues upgraded travel warning for AustraliaChina issues upgraded travel warning for AustraliaChina alleges Australian law enforcement agencies have been 'arbitrarily' searching Chinese citizens and seizing their possessions.
Read more »

China is ‘intent’ on teaching Australia a lesson | Sky News AustraliaChina is ‘intent’ on teaching Australia a lesson | Sky News AustraliaSocial commentator Prue MacSween says China doesn’t need to go to war with Australia because it “owns so much already”.\n\nIt comes as China has hit back against Australia telling the government not to interfere with its internal affairs, after Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a visa program for fleeing Hong Kongers.\n\nIn addition to offering work rights and a path to citizenship, the prime minister has also suspended Australia’s extradition treaty with Hong Kong, and issued travel warnings to Australians contemplating travelling to China.\n\n“China is all about control, and it is intent on teaching us a lesson,” Ms MacSween said.\n\n“It has been successfully implementing its strategy to control and influence Australia and other countries”.\n\n“For years it has been grooming or buying politicians here, and infiltrating all areas of society”.\n\nImage: AP
Read more »

Daniel Andrews thinks ‘China will bail him out’ if Victoria’s economy sinks | Sky News AustraliaDaniel Andrews thinks ‘China will bail him out’ if Victoria’s economy sinks | Sky News AustraliaSky News host Alan Jones says Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews obviously believes if the state gets into a tight economic spot then “China will bail him out”.\n\nVictoria has recorded over 500 new cases in the past week, and approximately ten per cent of the case load have been admitted to hospital.\n\nThe Victorian government issued stay at home orders for the entire metropolitan Melbourne region which will include the Mitchell Shire.\n\nPremier Andrews has also recently signed up to the controversial Belt and Road Initiative wherein China provides loans to fund Victoria’s expansive infrastructure program.\n\n“I don’t rate him at all,” Mr Jones told Sky News host Peta Credlin.\n\n“Basically you know now Victoria is bankrupt; if it was a corporation it would be bankrupt”.\n\n“His handling of this whole coronavirus thing is a disgrace”.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »

UQ student expelled over anti-China comments is ‘on the right side of history’ | Sky News AustraliaUQ student expelled over anti-China comments is ‘on the right side of history’ | Sky News AustraliaEmbattled University of Queensland student Drew Pavlou has had nine of his eleven charges reversed after he was expelled for misconduct surrounding comments critical of China.\n\nSky News host Rita Panahi said the optics surrounding Mr Pavlou’s initial expulsion were “so wrong”.\n\n“To be that reliant on the Chinese students, to have those sorts of ties that compromise academic freedom and the free speech of students and academics on campus, it’s a terrible look,” Ms Panahi told Sky News host Peta Credlin.\n\nMr Pavlou appealed his expulsion and argued that the University had extreme and at times worrying ties with China.\n\n“I think he’s on the right side of history.”\n
Read more »

China frees university professor who was arrested for criticising President Xi JinpingChina frees university professor who was arrested for criticising President Xi JinpingXu Zhangrun, a law professor at Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University, was taken from his home in the capital by a group of more than 20 people on 6 July.
Read more »

Donald Trump expected to take action against TikTok and WeChat in a new swipe at ChinaDonald Trump expected to take action against TikTok and WeChat in a new swipe at ChinaDonald Trump last week had said he is considering banning the wildly-popular TikTok app as a way to punish China over the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 00:26:32