Treasurer JoshFrydenberg has indicated a rise in the superannuation guarantee might not be delivered as planned next year – citing economic ruin caused by COVID-19.
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has indicated a rise in the superannuation guarantee might not be delivered as planned next year – citing economic ruin caused by COVID-19. The super guarantee is legislated to rise slowly from 9.5 per cent beginning next year and reach 12 per cent in 2025. When asked about the super increase by Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, Mr Frydenberg said the “reality” was Australia had been “hit hard” by COVID-19.
“We’re working through these issues and taking into account the comments and the insights provided by a number of people,” Mr Frydenberg said. He said RBA Governor Philip Lowe warned the increase could be "offset by lower wage growth over time", would “certainly” have a negative wages growth effect and reduce spending. He also said the Grattan Institute told him “increasing compulsory super contributions in the midst of a deep recession would slow the pace of recovery”.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Black market cat drugs studied as COVID-19 treatmentTwo experimental cat drugs that Australian pet owners have been paying thousands of dollars for on the black market are now being studied as potential COVID-19 treatments | liammannix
Read more »
'Surprising' auction clearance rates in Sydney despite COVID-19 pandemicMore homes have sold at auction in Sydney compared with this time last year despite the coronavirus pandemic, with buyers aided by low interest rates and first-time buyer incentives.
Read more »
Qld confirms 1 new COVID-19 cases as premier remains firm on borderBREAKING: Queensland has recorded one new COVID-19 case overnight, connected to the growing Brisbane Corrective Services Academy cluster.
Read more »
WA man set to be first Australian fitted with tracking device for alleged COVID-19 breachA WA man is set to be the first person in Australia to be fitted with a tracking ankle bracelet for an alleged COVID-19 quarantine breach which caused a coronavirus scare that forced the closure of a Perth pub on Friday night.
Read more »
COVID-19 unrest and protests in Dandenong by 'resistance' group lead to arrestsOne of the ringleaders of a planned Melbourne anti-lockdown rally says the protest will go ahead, despite his arrest. 9News
Read more »
US passes 6 million COVID-19 cases as WHO warns countries against reopening too quicklyThe US has passed six million coronavirus cases as the WHO says it is possible to balance the opening up of economies while continuing to suppress transmission of the coronavirus.
Read more »