Twitter launches way for users to charge for access to their content

Australia News News

Twitter launches way for users to charge for access to their content
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 brisbanetimes
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 64 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 29%
  • Publisher: 67%

Billionaire Elon Musk will allow Twitter users to charge for access to their content.

Twitter is allowing users to charge for access to their content, “from long-form text to hours-long video,” owner Elon Musk said in a post on the site Thursday.

Musk said that for the first 12 months, Twitter won’t keep any of the money users make from subscriptions. That means users will keep about 70 per cent of their subscription revenue on mobile, after accounting for the fees Apple and Google take on their app stores, he said. Musk didn’t elaborate on the technical aspects of the plan.

The changes may help woo more content creators onto the platform, or keep them from leaving. Although Twitter will not take a cut of users’ subscription revenue for the first 12 months, it could be a move to generate more cash in the future. Twitter this week ceased to be an independent company after merging with a newly formed shell firm called X Corp, driving speculation about what Elon Musk intends for the social media platform.

Twitter “no longer exists” after being merged with X Corp, said an April 4 document submitted in a California court for a lawsuit filed against the company and its former chief executive officer, Jack Dorsey, last year by conservative activist Laura Loomer.. The billionaire owner has in the past suggested that buying Twitter would be an “accelerant” for creating X — which he dubbed an “everything app”. Musk tweeted about the move on Tuesday with the single character “X”.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

brisbanetimes /  🏆 13. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Elon Musk says BBC’s Twitter tag will be changed from ‘government-funded media’Elon Musk says BBC’s Twitter tag will be changed from ‘government-funded media’Twitter owner says he has ‘utmost respect’ for broadcaster and that tag will be changed to ‘publicly funded’
Read more »

Elon Musk may have inadvertently anointed a Twitter successorElon Musk may have inadvertently anointed a Twitter successorIf the purpose of banning Substack from Twitter was to force writers to choose platforms, it looks like it’s working.
Read more »

Elon Musk admits drastic action required to fix negative cashflow at TwitterElon Musk admits drastic action required to fix negative cashflow at TwitterBillionaire Elon Musk has admitted taking over Twitter has been painful in an interview with the BBC as Musk says drastic action was needed when he came on board because the company was facing a negative cash flow. He believes the social media platform only had four months to survive.
Read more »

Elon Musk says owning Twitter 'painful' but needed to be doneElon Musk says owning Twitter 'painful' but needed to be doneBillionaire Elon Musk tells the BBC that running Twitter has been 'quite painful' but that the social media company is now roughly breaking even after he acquired it late last year.
Read more »

Elon Musk says BBC’s ‘government-funded media’ Twitter tag will be changedElon Musk says BBC’s ‘government-funded media’ Twitter tag will be changedOwner talks of ‘extremely high’ pain level from running the site but adds it is now ‘roughly breaking even’
Read more »

Elon Musk slams BBC reporter's 'lies' in extraordinary interviewElon Musk slams BBC reporter's 'lies' in extraordinary interviewBillionaire Elon Musk has laid into a BBC reporter during a rare live interview which has been described as a 'car crash' for the national broadcaster.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 10:45:03