U.S. Admits Deadly Kabul Drone Strike Was ‘Horrible Mistake’

Australia News News

U.S. Admits Deadly Kabul Drone Strike Was ‘Horrible Mistake’
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 NYMag
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 63%

The Pentagon acknowledged on Friday that its August 29 drone strike in Kabul — which killed ten civilians, including seven children — was a “horrible mistake”

Relatives and neighbors of the Ahmadi family gathered around the incinerated husk of a vehicle a day after it was mistakenly targeted by an August 29 U.S. drone strike. Photo: Marcus Yam/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images The Pentagon acknowledged on Friday that its August 29 drone strike in Kabul — which killed ten civilians, including seven children — was a “horrible mistake,” following an investigation into the air strike, which the U.S.

During a Friday news conference, Marine General Frank McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, called the strike a “tragic mistake” and said that it “was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology.” McKenzie also said that the Pentagon was still assessing whether anyone would be held responsible for what happened.

The August 29 strike came three days after an attack by an ISIS-K suicide bomber outside Kabul’s airport, which killed nearly 200 people, including 13 U.S. service members. U.S. officials repeatedly warned over the coming days that they expected another attack to be imminent. As the Times and Post investigations showed, U.S. surveillance incorrectly identified Ahmadi, who had worked in Afghanistan for the U.S.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

NYMag /  🏆 111. in US

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Baby girl born to widow of Marine killed in Kabul bombingBaby girl born to widow of Marine killed in Kabul bombingThe widow of a U.S. Marine killed in a bombing in Afghanistan in August has given birth to a baby girl, family says.
Read more »

This mobile app is helping Afghans navigate Kabul following the Taliban takeoverThis mobile app is helping Afghans navigate Kabul following the Taliban takeoverCNN News, delivered. Select from our newsletters below and enter your email to subscribe.
Read more »

'Tragic mistake': U.S. determines Kabul drone strike killed innocent aid worker, nine family members'Tragic mistake': U.S. determines Kabul drone strike killed innocent aid worker, nine family membersAn investigation by U.S. Central Command has determined that an Aug. 29 drone strike in Kabul killed an innocent aid worker and 9 members of his family, not a member of the ISIS-K terrorist group
Read more »

U.S. says Kabul drone strike killed 10 civilians, including children, in 'tragic mistake'U.S. says Kabul drone strike killed 10 civilians, including children, in 'tragic mistake'General Frank McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command said that a drone strike in Kabul last month killed as many as 10 civilians, including seven children, and apologized for what he said was a ‘tragic mistake’
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 03:21:31