US justice department ordered to prepare redacted version of Trump search affidavit for release

Australia News News

US justice department ordered to prepare redacted version of Trump search affidavit for release
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 SBSNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 73 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 33%
  • Publisher: 89%

The sealed statement may reveal why there was probable cause to search Donald Trump's Florida home, US Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart said.

Despite objections by the Justice Department, US Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart says he believes there are parts of the sworn statement laying out the evidence for why there was probable cause to search Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort"that could be unsealed".

Judge Reinhart's order seemed to mark a victory for news outlets, who appeared in federal court in West Palm Beach on Thursday to persuade the judge that the public interest in the affidavit outweighs the benefits of keeping it sealed.Jay Bratt, the head of the department's counterintelligence and export control section, told the judge on Thursday that releasing the affidavit is not in the public interest because it could harm the ongoing probe.

Attorneys for several media outlets including The New York Times, the publisher of the Wall Street Journal, ABC News and NBC News told Mr Reinhart on Thursday that the public's right to know and the historic significance of the search outweigh any arguments to keep the records sealed."The public could not have a more compelling interest in ensuring maximum transparency over this event," said Charles Tobin, one of the attorneys arguing for the media companies.

The FBI's unsealed search warrant for former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla., is photographed Friday, Aug. 12, 2022. However, none of the three laws cited by the Justice Department in the search warrant require a showing that the documents were in fact classified.In Ohio last week, police shot an armed man dead after he tried to breach an FBI building. A second man in Pennsylvania, meanwhile, has since been charged with making threats against FBI agents.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SBSNews /  🏆 3. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Judge orders DoJ to prepare redacted Trump search affidavit for possible releaseJudge orders DoJ to prepare redacted Trump search affidavit for possible releaseJustice department opposed release of document but judge said portions of it ‘could be presumptively unsealed’
Read more »

US Department of Justice warn judge releasing Trump affidavit could ‘endanger’ witnessesUS Department of Justice warn judge releasing Trump affidavit could ‘endanger’ witnessesA US judge is considering publicly releasing a redacted version of the affidavit the FBI used to justify searching former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence. CNN Reporter Jessica Schneider says the US Department of Justice is warning the judge that releasing the affidavit could “not only endanger” their ongoing criminal investigation but also endanger the witnesses they’ve talked to. “They said that there’s such identifying information in this affidavit about what these witnesses have told them as to the classified documents that still remained at Mar-a-Lago,” she told Sky News Australia. “That if it gets released those witnesses potentially could be in danger, they also say the federal agents who are conducting this investigation could be in danger.”
Read more »

‘We probably won’t get the juicy details’ if some of the Trump affidavit is released‘We probably won’t get the juicy details’ if some of the Trump affidavit is releasedCNN Reporter Jessica Schneider says the problem is although a US federal judge may release some of the affidavit the FBI used to justify searching Donald Trump’s home, we probably won’t get the “juicy details”. A US judge is considering publicly releasing a redacted version of the search warrant used during an FBI raid of former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence. “It’s likely that we’re going to get some information from this affidavit,” Ms Schneider told Sky News Australia. “The affidavit is what provided the underline basis for the search warrant that allowed the federal agents to go in and search Mar-a-Lago, ultimately taking away those 11 sets of classified documents. “The judge in that court hearing said he didn’t see any reason to continue to keep all of the affidavit under sealed.”
Read more »

‘It will be released eventually’: Judge to rule on Trump affidavit release‘It will be released eventually’: Judge to rule on Trump affidavit releaseA US federal judge will decide whether to unseal the affidavit the FBI used to justify searching former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago home in Florida. The judge acknowledged the Department of Justice's argument it contained sensitive information about sources but also said the intense public interest warrants some release. US Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart says he’s inclined to make some of the affidavit public. Mr Trump has encouraged the release of the affidavit, while the Justice Department objected, claiming that it would do “irreparable” harm to an ongoing investigation which they say is in its early stages. “It will be released eventually,” Fox News Contributor Andy McCarthy said.
Read more »

Freeing of terrorist who killed Australian soldiers shows how the US gave Taliban leverage despite allies' objections | Ahmad Shuja JamalFreeing of terrorist who killed Australian soldiers shows how the US gave Taliban leverage despite allies' objections | Ahmad Shuja JamalMany prisoners released under the US-Taliban deal took up arms again and then overran Kabul
Read more »

Cheney loses Republican primary in Trump victoryCheney loses Republican primary in Trump victoryLiz Cheney, the Republican who has spearheaded investigations into Donald Trump’s role in the US Capitol uprising, has lost her congressional primary race.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 19:41:58