The relative performance of the contact tracing in Victoria and NSW has become a political flashpoint
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews on Tuesday said experts embedded in the department had already been examining tracing systems in other parts of the country and around the world.
Mr Sutton said he believed all infected guards and hotel staff were contacted but that efforts failed to contain a "super-spreader" event. "The evidence is NSW had the equivalent of about six hotel quarantine breaches in terms of cases that have come from Victoria [and spread into the community] … The difference is they’ve been able to recognise them, chase them down, get on top of them early," he said.
Jeroen Weimar, the former head of Victoria's Department of Transport who will now oversee the logistics of contact tracing, said the model had been successful in tracing the virus in the regional towns of Bendigo, Castlemaine, Geelong and Colac. Mr Andrews said 90 per cent of positive cases were being interviewed within 24 hours of DHHS being notified of their test results, while 99 per cent of close contacts were being contacted within 48 hours.Irene Anderson and her son, Sean, waited almost 60 hours to be notified by DHHS they were close contacts of a confirmed coronavirus case.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
NSW government has 'one rule for Sydney, and another for regional NSW' | Sky News AustraliaNSW National Party President Andrew Fraser says regional NSW farmers preserve and reserve the koala population in the state and don’t need to be told what to do with their land. \n\nChanges to laws protecting koalas in New South Wales have sparked concerns with farmer lobby groups about the balance of biodiversity outcomes and the rights of landholders. \n\nThe number of tree species triggering koala checks on private properties was increased from 10 to 123 under changes to the Koala Habitat Protection State Environment Planning Policy due to fears the state’s koala population was seriously declining. \n\n“The government really needs to step back, have a look at the existing protocols that are out there… (and) manage it properly,” Mr Fraser told Sky News host Alan Jones.\n\n“The bushfires killed more koalas than anything else, and if you look at clearing koala habitat and habitation in Western Sydney to actually then take offsets in regional New South Wales, it’s one rule for those in Sydney and another rule for us in regional New South Wales. \n\n“Are there koalas in The Domain? Are there koalas in Hyde Park? Are there koalas in Centennial Park? \n\n“No there’s not. It’s a concrete jungle and we’re paying the price.\n\n“We preserve and reserve the koala population in New South wales, we don’t need to be told what we can do with our own land.”\n\n
Read more »
NSW a shining example of 'effective virus management' for Victoria | Sky News AustraliaLiberal MP Trent Zimmerman says Victoria should format its roadmap to recovery on the criteria used by NSW given the successful management of the coronavirus by the Berejiklian government.\n\n“If we had the type of criteria being used by the Victorian government in places in NSW, then NSW would be somewhere between stage two and stage three lockdowns,” he told Sky News.\n\n“What NSW has so effectively demonstrated is you don’t have to persist with those types of extreme lockdowns if you’ve got the tracing and management systems in place to be able to cope with low levels of community transmission”.\n\nLabor MP Peter Khalil noted “the only place I can think of that had a similarly strict suppression strategy … which almost looked like elimination was New Zealand”.\n\nHe called on the federal government to extend JobKeeper at its former rate for Victorians, provide additional tax relief and support small business through the lockdown. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
More than 100 NSW health workers wait for coronavirus results after infections at Sydney hospitalsMore than 100 health workers across two Sydney hospitals are waiting to see if they have COVID-19, after fears a colleague caught the virus from a contaminated surface.
Read more »
NSW school formals and graduation events given the green light | Sky News AustraliaNSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has announced school formals and graduation ceremonies will be allowed to go ahead in term four.\n\n“On Friday there will be guidelines issued to confirm, and I want to say confirm in the strongest possible way, that there will be formals and graduation ceremonies allowed in term four,” the premier said in a media conference on Monday.\n\nMs Berejiklian thanked teachers and students for their flexibility and resilience during the coronavirus pandemic. \n\n“We can all look forward to a summer that is less stressful than the last few months have been,” she said.\n\nNSW recorded four cases overnight which included one case from hotel quarantine and three which were locally acquired and linked to known cases.\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Gambling marshals for NSW pokies venues on the cardsGambling marshals patrolling poker machine venues across the state are being considered by the NSW government after a Sydney RSL club was forced to install them but no other club has followed suit | Nigelgladstone
Read more »