'We're ahead': British health secretary vows vaccine before Australia | latikambourke
"Should approval come through — and it's still not certain — but it is looking up, should that approval come through then we're ready to roll out.
Hancock said AstraZeneca, a British company, had already begun producing some of the 30 million doses the British government has on order. UK cases dipped in July, rose slightly in August but have jumped sharply since the beginning of September with almost 3000 new cases recorded on Sunday and on Monday - the highest one-day number of cases since May 22.Britain's daily death rate has stayed stable and below 20 since July 21 and was three on Monday, well below the April 8 peak of 1072.The number of people in hospital has also steadily declined since its peak of 19,872 in mid-April, with 124 new patients admitted on Sunday.
"They can fall very, very ill and secondly, inevitably it leads to older people catching it from them," he said.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Australia clinches vaccine production deals worth $1.7bThe deals will provide more than 84.8 million vaccine doses for Australia and its regional neighbours.
Read more »
Australia clinches vaccine production deals worth $1.7bAustralians will have access to a COVID19 vaccine progressively throughout next year if trials prove successful. coronavirus COVID19 COVID19vic
Read more »
First Australian COVID vaccines could be administered by February: Health Minister | Sky News AustraliaHealth Minister Greg Hunt has told Sky News the “best in class” vaccines secured by the federal government will likely be rolled out in the first quarter of 2021 and will provide multi-year protection.\n\nA $1.7 billion agreement confirming the supply and production of over 89 million vaccine doses has been spruiked by Prime Minister Scott Morrison as another significant step towards protecting the health of the nation against COVID-19.\n\nA media release outlining the onshore manufacturing agreements for the two COVID-19 vaccines candidates said: “Under the agreement, the University of Oxford\u002FAstraZeneca and the University of Queensland\u002FCSL will provide more than 84.8 million vaccine doses for the Australian population.”\n\nMr Hunt said the Oxford University vaccine is expected to arrive and be produced in Australia from the first quarter of next year, allowing the first vaccinations to potentially occur in January and February.\n\nHe said the Oxford team has indicated that their vaccination is “multi-year protection, (but) not necessarily lifetime”.\n\n“We’re in a fortunate position to have access to these because we have the manufacturing capability in Australia,” he told Sky News host Chris Kenny.\n\n“It means we don’t have to wait, it means we can choose the best in class, but then be able to produce them here and deliver them to the Australian people on a free and voluntary basis.\n\n“My expectation and belief is that we will have a successful vaccine.”\n\nImage: Getty
Read more »
Australia secures priority access to potential coronavirus vaccines | Sky News AustraliaAustralians have moved to the front of the line to receive a coronavirus vaccine after a $1.7 billion commitment by the federal government secured priority access to multiple potential vaccines. \n\nA statement released last night revealed the federal government sealed a deal to ensure priority access to an Oxford University developed potential vaccine which would be manufactured in Melbourne and distributed by AstraZeneca. \n\nUnder the deal, potentially 3.8 million doses would be available to Australians in January and February next year if the trial-drug proved successful. \n\nPrime Minister Scott Morrison said once a vaccine was developed, it would be made free for all Australians, however, health care workers and the vulnerable would be given priority access.\n\nA University of Queensland trial vaccine was also included in the deal and would be distributed by CSL if successful. \n\nMr Morrison is expected to reveal further details about the deal later today. \n\nImage: AP
Read more »
Coalition ‘lied’ about COVID-19 vaccine deal: Chris Bowen | Sky News AustraliaShadow Health Minister Chris Bowen says a $1.7 billion supply and production agreement between the Australian government and pharmaceutical companies for two promising COVID-19 vaccine candidates is the Coalition doing what it “lied” about weeks ago. \n\n“It’s basically the government doing today what they lied about three weeks ago when they said they had a deal when they didn’t,” Mr Bowen told Sky News.\n\nUnder the agreement, the University of Oxford\u002FAstraZeneca and the University of Queensland\u002FCSL will provide more than 84.8 million vaccine doses for Australians, who would receive access to the jab for free.\n\nThey would almost entirely be manufactured in Melbourne, with early access to 3.8 million doses of the University of Oxford vaccine in January and February 2021.\n\n “It would be prudent to have other measures in place as well,” Mr Bowen said. \n\n“We do know that vaccines have a 96 per cent failure rate from beginning to end – that means the vast majority of those vaccines under development around the world will fail but some will work.\n\n“We have to maximise our chances of having access to those who do.\n\n“There are others, though, that are also well advanced, and it would be prudent for the government to be pursuing those options as well. \n\n“If they don’t work out, that would not be something that the government would be criticised for.”\n\nMr Bowen said the US has six vaccine deals in place while the UK has five.\n\nImage: News Corp Australia \n
Read more »
Australia set to get free virus vaccineAustralians could be some of the first in the world to receive a coronavirus vaccine if an Oxford University trial proves successful.
Read more »