What are the lessons from Australia's biggest outbreaks so far?

Australia News News

What are the lessons from Australia's biggest outbreaks so far?
Australia Latest News,Australia Headlines
  • 📰 smh
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 54 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 80%

Explainer: What are the lessons from Australia's biggest outbreaks so far?

. They were told to make their own way home and then self-isolate for 14 days. That decision sent infected passengers into all Australian states and territories – and around the world – unaware that they were potentially infectious.Of those on board the Ruby Princess, there were a total of 914 cases and 22 deaths recorded in Australia. Some passengers with COVID-19 even hopped on international flights but the extent of the spread overseas will likely never be known.

More positive test results from Cedar Meats workers began returning in the last half of April. But Victorian health authorities failed to inform management about them for several days, instead relying on the labour-hire firm to pass it on. This allowed the virus to spread among workers and close contacts, resulting in the abattoir being shut down for two weeks.What has come out of itMeatworks have been the site of serious breakouts overseas because of the nature of the close-quarters work.

Scientists analysing the genetic code of the virus to emerge in Victoria so far have found this second surge of cases all look different to those earlier in the year - and all seemed to start from just one or two sources.

“Sometimes it’s about mistakes and blame, and these outbreaks need to be investigated but sometimes, even with all the right controls the virus will still get through,” McCaw adds. “But it’s clear communication between government departments can be challenging and communication with the broader community needs to improve.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

smh /  🏆 6. in AU

Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Australia needs a 'national plan' to deal with Melbourne's COVID outbreak | Sky News AustraliaAustralia needs a 'national plan' to deal with Melbourne's COVID outbreak | Sky News AustraliaThe recent surge in COVID-19 cases in Victoria highlights need for a cohesive, national economic recovery plan, according to Centre Alliance Senator Rex Patrick.\n\nPremier Daniel Andrews has confirmed 134 new coronavirus cases in Victoria in the past 24 hours, 75 of which are from public housing towers across Melbourne.\n\nUnder the state's new lockdown measures - set to come into full force at midnight tonight - the state will remain closed for up to six weeks before the government considers easing restrictions.\n\nAs a result of the surging number of COVID cases in Melbourne, the border between New South Wales and Victoria will close at midnight on Tuesday.\n\nWith Victoria responsible for more than 20 per cent of Australia's GDP, the need for national economic recovery plan plan is pressing, Mr Patrick told Sky News.\n\n“One of the problems we’ve got is that we’re not seeing an integrated plan, something that looks at all aspects including infrastructure as a mechanism for growth, having some elements of manufacturing encouraged for value add and self-reliance,' he said.\n\n“We need to look at this as a national issue and we need to focus on solutions.\n\n “We need to be looking right across the spectrum at the entire package. \n\n“We need an integrated plan.”\n\n
Read more »

'The price of attacking us is far, far too high': Molan | Sky News Australia'The price of attacking us is far, far too high': Molan | Sky News AustraliaLiberal Senator Jim Molan says it is absolutely necessary that Australia develops a “very clear” defence strategy in order to demonstrate it is capable of deflecting foreign security threats. \n\nMr Molan praised the Prime Minister for last week unveiling a $270 billion boost to the nation’s defence strategy in the shadow of potential cyber and security threats. \n\n“Now he didn’t say we’re about to go to war in five or 10 years but he did say that the rule of law is breaking down and that certain nations are taking an aggressive stance, an assertive stance and that we should very, very much be prepared for this,' he said. \n\n“[China] has been very assertive in their treatment of us, but not only us, also just about every other nation in the world. \n\nMr Molan said Australia was set to engage with the United States in a series of RIMPAC exercises in the South China Sea to demonstrate their defence strategies. \n\n“That’s where I talk about winning – in order to deter conflict you don’t just have something, you must illustrate to an aggressor that the price of attacking us is far, far too high,” he said. \n\nImage: News Corp Australia \n \n\n
Read more »

Australia's unit rental market suffers biggest price drop in 15 years | Sky News AustraliaAustralia's unit rental market suffers biggest price drop in 15 years | Sky News AustraliaAustralia's unit rental market has suffered its biggest price drop in more than 15-years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.\n\nA Domain Report revealed the price for renting a unit plunged 3.2 per cent, to just under $450 a week in the June quarter. \n\nRental houses afforded a lesser blow, falling 1.2 per cent to a record average of $446 a week. \n\nInner-city markets have been hardest hit, with Sydney and Melbourne seeing the biggest fall in prices.
Read more »

'Change in community attitude partly responsible' for Vic COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News Australia'Change in community attitude partly responsible' for Vic COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News AustraliaCornerstone Group Senior Director James Cullen says complacency was in part responsible for the resurgence in coronavirus cases in Victoria. \n\nMr Cullen told Sky News Black Lives Matter protests and the hotel quarantine breaches largely contributed to outbreaks occurring across the state but a shift away from social distancing behaviours in the wider community was also a key factor. \n\nHe said a “change in the community attitudes” became evident after the Prime Minister announced the easing of stage three restrictions several weeks ago. \n\n“I think that people then really started to drop some of the discipline around social distancing, for example,” he said. \n\n“Until we get that vaccine there is no back to normal so we do need to sort of exercise that discipline.” \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »

Victorian Health Department the new target of blame amid COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News AustraliaVictorian Health Department the new target of blame amid COVID-19 outbreak | Sky News AustraliaSky News contributor Caleb Bond says a lack of testing resources and bureaucrats with health training “points to a complete failure” by the Andrews government to manage the coronavirus pandemic within the state of Victoria.\n\nThe Australian is reporting a “shortage of public health professionals in the Victorian bureaucracy is being blamed for the second wave of COVID-19 cases sweeping Melbourne, with a lack of contact tracers and an inability to train them at scale leaving the state more vulnerable than if the transmissions had occurred in NSW.\n\nThe number of active infections in the state from an unknown source reached 456 on Wednesday.\n\nMr Bond said “the evidence is mounting that the reason that this has happened in Victoria is because Daniel Andrews and his government and his bureaucracy were not on top of cases”.\n\n“Daniel Andrews and his government created a second wave,” he told Sky News host Peter Gleeson. \n\nImage: Getty
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 21:42:05