Amnesty International says Nigeria's security forces fired upon two large gatherings of peaceful protesters, killing 12 people calling for an end to police brutality. 9News
Amnesty said it has received reports that shortly before the shootings, CCTV security cameras at the Lekki toll gates, where protesters had been camped for two weeks, were removed by government officials and electricity was cut to prevent evidence emerging of the violence.
Amid global outrage, Nigeria’s military denied responsibility for the Lekki shootings, posting a tweet that labeled several reports as fake news. Demonstrations and gunfire were also reported in several other Nigerian cities, including the capital city, Abuja. Nigeria has massive oil wealth and is one of Africa’s largest economies, but many of its more than 200 million people face high poverty levels and lack basic services — because of rampant graft, according to rights groups.
President Muhammadu Buhari — who has said little about the protests engulfing his country — did not mention the Lekki shootings in a statement Wednesday but issued a call for calm and vowed police reforms.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'These grubs will be busted': Squad launched to crackdown on puppy farmsA team of six investigators will work on the new taskforce and any breeder found to be doing the wrong thing can have their animals seized, fines issued of up to $22,000 and jail time of up to two years per offence.
Read more »
Killer still on the run two years after young woman's brutal murder on beachToyah Cordingley's murder shocked the nation and, despite an extensive police investigation spanning several continents, police are no closer to charging anyone over her death.
Read more »
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee files lawsuit against Saudi Crown Prince over 'brutal and brazen' killingThe family of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi files a US lawsuit accusing Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of personally ordering the journalist's brutal execution in order to silence the high-profile government critic.
Read more »
Rabbitohs trio, Raiders duo called up to Maroons squadThe Maroons have added five more players to their extended squad which now contains 14 players who are yet to play State of Origin football.
Read more »
Police charge 11 people with murder of Melbourne teenager Solomone TaufeulungakiHomicide Squad detectives charge 11 people with murder following the death of teenager Solomone Taufeulungaki in Deer Park earlier this year.
Read more »
Spain surpasses one million coronavirus infections as western Europe falls back into lockdownSpain, which is home to around 47 million people, is only the sixth country in the world to pass this toll - after the United States, India, Brazil, Russia and Argentina.
Read more »