The Three Capes Track in Tasmania in the Tasman National Park south of Port Arthur is justly famed for its ruggedness and natural beauty. But it’s not the place you want to be if you are an executive in the midst of a major crisis.
The Three Capes Track in Tasmania in the Tasman National Park south of Port Arthur is justly famed for its ruggedness and natural beauty. As the guide states: “Few places on Earth remain that feel so remote, so raw, so removed from the ordinary.
” Not the place you want to be if you are an executive in the midst of a major crisis. Nevertheless, that was the fate that befell AFL executive general manager of footballreported at the time: “Just 24 hours after the umpires at the centre of the Lachie Schultz concussion drama were accused of providing misleading information to the AFL, the league has cleared them of any wrongdoing – citing a miscommunication with the umpiring department.”Over that weekend Kane was far away from the unfolding crisis, trekking over 31 kilometres of rugged wilderness coastline with a team as part of the youth mental health charity Headspace’s Exec Trek 2025. The charity described it as “taking a group of passionate leaders and partners on the breathtaking Three Capes Trek in Tasmania”.AFL sources hastened to point out this event was not some weekend jolly and that Kane was not incommunicado and fielded countless calls from home base over the weekend.What the game’s stakeholders unhappy with AFL management make of all this is unknown. One thing that is clear – the event, at this point, has fallen short of its fundraising goal of $100,000, coming in at about $30,000.Former Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton in the MCG members’ stand for Friday night’s Dreamtime game between Essendon and Richmond. Patton, who resigned after the police union’s no-confidence vote in his leadership, did not escape the notice of some of the members who cast a ballot against him.There can be no cooler venue for a destination event than Brisbane’s Calile Hotel. Think 1980s Sebel Townhouse vibes – but for today. And so it was for the entertainment industry’s bright young things, sorry, bright middle-aged things, who converged on the Calile from their Sydney and Melbourne powerbases over the weekend for a 50th birthday party. Could this get any more on trend?, whose many former hats include being Monash University chancellor and a boardie for NAB, Spotless and Rio Tinto, along with, the multimillionaire former chief executive of Swisse vitamins turned boss of investment firm Light Warrior. Both are on the board of major events marketing and advisory group Anthem, and had rocked up to the Calile to celebrate the 50th of Anthem’s well-connected founder, who has won plaudits for transforming a local dead strip in the Kings Cross area around her Lady Chu restaurant with tables and chairs and umbrellas, fell foul of whinging neighbours and the health and safety martinets on the City of Sydney Council, whose rangers paid her a visit at 7pm on a Saturday to complain about some potentially deadly pot plants obstructing the footpath. “I’m trying to activate a dead city and you’re trying to f---ing shut it down,” said the restaurateur, known for similarly tart responses to online reviews, and who formerly ran the Miss Chu tuckshops, which live on in South Melbourne and South Yarra.Local business Stanley Green, Plant Shop & Cafe, Darlinghurst was helpful enough to suggest that Chu get in touch with city councillor, whom they described as a “huge supporter” of “lively outdoor dining spaces” who had helped their business.Alex Greenwich who dropped by with some information while burnishing his Instagram account with a couple of snaps for his 14,000 followers from the Roslyn Street battleground which he described as an “update on the sitCHUation”.“I will demand – I won’t ask – to make a special case in my situation,” she told CBD. “I have a very wide footpath.” The council previously said it had approved several applications by the owner, but the furniture and plants have exceeded those permissions, and it was trying to work collaboratively. Chu, 55, told CBD she had been bedevilled by red tape for decades and that opponents were hiding behind anonymous complaints to strike at her.She next plans to hire a barrister to overturn the ability to lodge anonymous complaints and insist such complaints go on a public register.Stephen Brook is a special correspondent for The Age and CBD columnist for The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. He was previously deputy editor of The Sunday Age. He is a former media editor of The Australian and spent six years in London working for The Guardian.is a CBD columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. Previously he worked as a reporter for Crikey, covering federal politics from the Canberra Press Gallery.
Australia Latest News, Australia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
North Melbourne star Paul Curtis fails to overturn three-match ban at AFL tribunal7NEWS brings you the latest local news from Australia and around the world. Stay up to date with all of the breaking sport, politics, entertainment, finance, weather and business headlines. Today's news, live updates & all the latest breaking stories from 7NEWS.
Read more »
Mature-aged Roo to debut amid three changes as Bombers make call on veteran: AFL TeamsAFL: The North Melbourne Kangaroos have handed a media ban for alleged bullying of a duo.
Read more »
AFL round eight as it happened: Saints thrash insipid Fremantle to end three-match losing streakThe Dockers were dominated at the coalface, with some of their biggest stars closed down under Friday night lights.
Read more »
Crucial meeting to spark mass Pies changes; Cats’ selection squeeze: Team TipsAFL: Leigh Matthews joins on the couch and discusses three rules that he would like to bring back to the AFL.
Read more »
AFL trade saga takes twist as Gawn throws fuel on fire; why Hawk’s value is soaring: WhispersAFL: Leigh Matthews joins on the couch and discusses three rules that he would like to bring back to the AFL.
Read more »
‘Floundering’ AFL stuck in crisis mode amid AFL Commission leadership vacuum emerges: ‘Nobody wants the job’7NEWS brings you the latest local news from Australia and around the world. Stay up to date with all of the breaking sport, politics, entertainment, finance, weather and business headlines. Today's news, live updates & all the latest breaking stories from 7NEWS.
Read more »



