The Perth Park project, part of the Burswood racetrack development, includes a controversial racetrack and a multi-purpose building. The project has faced budget pressure and backlash from the public and opposition leaders. The WA government secured approximately 3.7 hectares of land from the nearby Crown Towers resort and casino complex worth over $36 million free-of-charge to build the track.
Artist's impression of a multi-purpose building with function and event spaces to be built at Perth Park , part of the Burswood racetrack development. WA Treasurer Rita Saffioti said there is 'no doubt pressure' on the $217.5 million budget for the Perth Park project.
The project includes a controversial racetrack, which drew backlash from the public and opposition leaders when it was announced last year. In a potential cost-saving move, the WA government secured approximately 3.7 hectares of land from the nearby Crown Towers resort and casino complex worth over $36 million free-of-charge. The government has agreed to a no-money-exchanged land swap with the Crown Casino to purchase a crucial piece of land to build the track.
The project, dubbed Perth Park, includes a 12,000-capacity outdoor amphitheatre, multi-purpose building, and 'multi-use racetrack' for cycling and an annual motorsport event. Announcing a major building contract at the site on Friday, Treasurer Rita Saffioti said there was undoubted 'pressure' to keep the budget in check. The government secured approximately 3.7 hectares of land from Crown worth over $36 million free-of-charge.
WA Opposition leader Basil Zempilas said the exclusion of the hospitality venue was an admission the $217.5 million price tag 'cannot and will not be met'. The government had been in negotiations to own the land closest to the Crown Towers casino and resort complex as it was needed for the southern leg of the track. Perth Park Steering Committee Chair, and Labor MP Daniel Pastorelli said the government had reached an 'in principle agreement'
Perth Park Burswood Racetrack Development Controversial Racetrack Budget Pressure Crown Towers Resort And Casino Complex No-Money-Exchanged Land Swap Multi-Purpose Building Multi-Use Racetrack Cycling Annual Motorsport Event Treasurer Rita Saffioti WA Opposition Leader Basil Zempilas Perth Park Steering Committee Chair Daniel Pastorelli Budget Backlash Pressure In Principle Agreement Crown Towers Casino And Resort Complex Land Swap Budget Pressure Backlash Pressure In Principle Agreement Crown Towers Casino And Resort Complex Land Swap
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Police searching for man after woman's body found on Perth streetDozens of police officers descended on a Perth street today after a woman&x27;s body was found outside of an apartment block.
Read more »
Australian passengers rescued from Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship to land in Perth tomorrowFive Australians – three from NSW and two from Queensland – and one New Zealand national will arrive in the Netherlands at 4pm AEDT today.
Read more »
MV Hondius Passengers arrive in Perth after Dutch evacuationSix passengers are bound for Perth after being evacuated from the MV Hondius cruise ship. They will be quarantined for three weeks and will undergo testing upon arrival to determine the spread of the virus.
Read more »
Australian and New Zealand citizens evacuated from cruise ship to land in Perth for quarantineFour Australian citizens and a permanent resident who travelled on a cruise ship at the centre of the deadly hantavirus outbreak will land in Perth on Friday, before enduring at least three weeks in quarantine. The cohort, and one New Zealand citizen, who were evacuated from the MV Hondius, departed the Netherlands on Thursday evening AEST after the government confirmed an aircraft and crew to fly them to WA had been locked in. Foreign Affairs and Trade have also secured all of the necessary clearances and approvals to travel from the Netherlands to Perth. The six passengers are still in good health, they have all tested negative for hantavirus and are showing no symptoms as well. All passengers and all crew members will travel this flight for its duration in full PPE. The flight is due to land at RAAF Base Pearce, northeast of WA’s capital, on Friday. The six passengers will spend at least three weeks in a largely unused 500-bed quarantine facility built in Bullsbrook during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff from the National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre, which has its headquarters in Darwin, have been deployed to Perth ready for the arrivals. There have been 11 confirmed hantavirus cases, including three deaths, from the cluster reported on the Dutch-flagged MV Hondius, according to the World Health Organization. Emergency flight costs will be provided in due course.
Read more »
