In the aftermath of a controversy over the rescue of a stranded whale, the decision to release the animal in the North Sea has been questioned as ‘pure animal cruelty’.
Timmy the whale had been transported in a water-filled barge, which was pulled by a tugboat from Wismar Bay in Germany to the Danish coast.
Humpback had been found deceased on Friday after rescue attempt criticised as ‘pure animal cruelty’ Timmy the whale has been confirmed dead by Danish authorities two weeks after the beached humpback wasDenmark’s Environmental Protection Agency said a whale had been found dead on Friday near the small island of Anholt in the Kattegat, a broad strait betweenJane Hansen, division head at the Danish Environmental Protection Agency, said in a statement: “It can now be confirmed that the stranded humpback whale near Anholt is the same whale that was previously stranded inShe added that conditions on Saturday made it possible for a Danish Nature Agency employee to locate and retrieve a tracking device that was fastened to the whale’s back, and “the position and appearance of the device confirm that this is the same whale that had previously been observed and handled in German waters”.
The 10-metre long calf became a global sensation after it was spotted stranded on Timmendorfer beach, a sandbank in shallow waters off the coast of Germany,As its health deteriorated, German officials gave up trying to rescue the mammal, saying they believed it could not be freed. But after a national outcry, two millionaires in Germany said they were prepared to pay “whatever it costs” to release the creature.
The rescue attempt – which is believed to have cost about €1.5m – involved floating Timmy away from the sandbanks and into a water-filled barge, which was pulled by a tugboat from Wismar Bay near the German city of Lübeck to deeper waters off the coast of Denmark.as “inadvisable” by the International Whaling Commission because the male juvenile, nicknamed Timmy after the beach where he was stranded, appeared to be “severely compromised” and was unlikely to survive after its release. Experts from the Oceanographic Museum in Stralsund on Germany’s Baltic coast also recommended Timmy should be left to die in peace.
The young whale was described as lethargic, weak and covered in blister-like blemishes after spending weeks in water with low salinity. Parts of its mouth were believed to have been caught in a fishing net. The museum’s director, Burkard Baschek, warned that trying to save Timmy amounted to “pure animal cruelty”.
After being released from the barge into the North Sea on 2 May, the whale was observed blowing through its blowhole and swimming freely “in the right direction”, according to Karin Walter-Mommert from the rescue initiative. Later, however, it emerged that a tracker intended to monitor Timmy’s progress was not working.
In a joint statement earlier this month, Walter-Mommert and her co-financier, Walter Gunz, one of the founders of a leading electronics chain, distanced themselves from the manner of the whale’s release.
“We hereby expressly distance ourselves from the events and the manner in which the whale was abandoned,” they wrote, calling for “any consequences” to be borne “by the owner, the operators, and any crew members of the ships Fortuna B and Robin Hood”. Hansen said the Danish authorities had “no concrete plans to remove the whale from the area or to perform a necropsy, and it is not currently considered to pose a problem in the area”.
Speaking to the Guardian on Friday , before the identity of the dead whale was confirmed, Amy Dickham, a professor of wildlife conservation at the University of Oxford, said there were many lessons to reflect on from the case. She said: “It’s really striking that there’s been such a focus on this individual animal at such great cost during a time of great crisis for wildlife funding around the world.
“It is really questionable whether it was a good use of funds, particularly compared with issues that impact much greater numbers of whales, such as collisions with vessels and entanglements with fishing gear. ”
Whale Transport German Waters Release Criticism Necropsy German Officials Millions In Funding
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'Become a citizen': Taylor questioned over welfare payment cuts for permanent migrantsThe Opposition has faced questions about what constitutes an Australian and who will be cut off from welfare payments under his new proposal.
Read more »
Pauline Hanson's private charter flights to flood-affected Queensland questionedThe news article discusses the controversy surrounding Pauline Hanson's use of private charter flights to travel around flood-affected Queensland, with the suggestion of Gina Rinehart and the claim that it was at 'no cost to the taxpayer'.
Read more »
Gary Lineker calls VAR decision 'worst ever' in Celtic-Motherwell title raceGary Lineker, a former Premier League footballer, called the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) decision in the Celtic-Motherwell title race as possibly the worst he has seen.
Read more »
Five Italian Scuba Divers Die, Malian Diver Dies in Underwater Cave RescueItalian scuba divers, along with a Maldivian military diver, died while exploring an underwater cave in the Maldives archipelago. The divers had apparently attempted to explore caves at a depth of 50 meters, which is considered beyond the depth limit for recreational divers. The search operation has resumed, with two Italians expected to join the recovery effort. Authorities are investigating the reason behind the group going below the officially permitted depth to 30 meters.
Read more »
